Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my two JDs one male 4in almost and one female around 5in

not my female is jet black and i believe trying to mate with my male but hes not ready.....

now to sorta ease all attention to the male i was wondering if i could get a convict to add till my male is about 5in....then add the convict to my empty 30 gall hex tank...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she beats on him alot thats why i was going to get a convict or firemouth and 10 or so tiger barbs.....

then move them when spawning begings

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant ever get her in the all black dress
as soon as i go to the tank she lightens up bc shes very skiddish
but heres one i got last time she did this
(this is the second time shes turned jet black built a nest and became very mean)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres her on a normal day to day(older pics)

--------------------------------------------

ok i got a good pic of her black again today the other was an older one

·
Registered
406 Posts
My female JDs usually get a little darker than that when they spawn but it could be that she's ready to spawn. The times she built a nest, are you sure she didn't lay eggs?

The first time I ever had JDs spawn, the female would chase the male away after he fertilized the eggs and wouldn't let him get near the nest. Once the fry became free swimming, she did allow dad to guard the fry. After the 2nd or 3rd spawn, she had no problems letting dad be near the nest with the eggs.

I think your JDs are still learning on how to spawn and they'll eventually get it. Just keep an eye on the tank and make sure either of your fish don't get hurt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant tell if she laid eggs in the cave but she did one night remove the sand to the bottom

i have the water at 79-80 degrees. i have heard with JDs u can have a bit cooler water like 72 bc they are found in temps that cool in florida.

said it will lower aggression is this true?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes lower temp. means lower aggression.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I find JDs aren't big digger unless they are making a nest and getting close to spawn so she could have laid some eggs in the cave.

72 is probably ok for JDs but I personally don't keep my tanks lower than 75 degrees. I think at 72, they probably wouldn't be happy and wouldn't be as active.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm well ill just wait and see how it goes iv been thinking about getting a electric blue to make a blue gene and beging making EBJDs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts