Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading from a 75 gal to 125 gal and looking to add to my stock. Currently have 1 Starry Night, 1 Red Spotted Severn, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Phantom Green Pleco, 2 Geophagus Red Head Tapajos, 1 Geophagus Sveni. All fish at this time are currently 3 inches in size.
Aggression is not bad, the Starry Night is the tank boss and I had to remove my Green Terror cause he was beaten pretty bad by the Starry Night and Red Spotted Severn. I am looking to add to my current stock list.
Looking to add at least 2 or 3 Geophagus Red Head Tapajos and i want to put my Green Terror back once he heals. Looking for any input for the stock list….

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
This all sounds pretty good. The Red Headed Tapajos (RHT) additions should work out just fine. But, things may eventually go downhill if more than one male emerges in your group. Keep an eye on things, and if it looks like one or more of your RHTs are getting the worst of it, you'll have to pull them out from the tank before they're killed.
-
As far as the Green Terror goes. Well, you'll just to wait and see I guess. Males of that species tend to punch higher than their weight class will permit. So unfortunately even in the 6 foot long tank, he may wind up getting beat down once again by either the Paratilapia polleni in there or your Red Spotted Severum. If so, you've got a dominant knucklehead on your hands that just won't quit. You'll have to pull him out once and for all from this group for his safety.
Have you got the room to purchase either a 150 or 180 gallon tank instead of the 125G? if so.... I STRONGLY recommend getting the bigger sized tank. You wouldn't think that changing the bottom 'footprint' from 18" X 72" to 24" X 72" would be that much a big deal. But in keeping these larger, more aggressive Cichlids, adding that extra six inches of bottom space really will make a huge amount of difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This all sounds pretty good. The Red Headed Tapajos (RHT) additions should work out just fine. But, things may eventually go downhill if more than one male emerges in your group. Keep an eye on things, and if it looks like one or more of your RHTs are getting the worst of it, you'll have to pull them out from the tank before they're killed.
-
As far as the Green Terror goes. Well, you'll just to wait and see I guess. Males of that species tend to punch higher than their weight class will permit. So unfortunately even in the 6 foot long tank, he may wind up getting beat down once again by either the Paratilapia polleni in there or your Red Spotted Severum. If so, you've got a dominant knucklehead on your hands that just won't quit. You'll have to pull him out once and for all from this group for his safety.
Have you got the room to purchase either a 150 or 180 gallon tank instead of the 125G? if so.... I STRONGLY recommend getting the bigger sized tank. You wouldn't think that changing the bottom 'footprint' from 18" X 72" to 24" X 72" would be that much a big deal. But in keeping these larger, more aggressive Cichlids, adding that extra six inches of bottom space really will make a huge amount of difference.
Thanks for the input, I can’t go larger than the 125, i was please that the wife agreed with the idea. I guess in seeing the GT beat up she was on board. i will definitely keep an i out for the aggression issue, I have noticed that the Sveni chases the RHT around the tank from time to time. No one bothers the Starry Night or the Red Spotted Severum but over i am looking forward to getting them out of the 75 into the 125……

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-
I am taking your advise and i am moving forward with the 150, i am going to make it work….

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Awesome!
You wouldn't think that extra 6 inches of width added to the bottom 'foot print' of the aquarium, would make that much of a difference... But it really does. For a variety of reasons, I've lost track of the number of aquarists over the years who ultimately regretted getting that smaller sized, 125 gallon aquarium.
-
You definitely made the right choice. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!
You wouldn't think that extra 6 inches of width added to the bottom 'foot print' of the aquarium, would make that much of a difference... But it really does. For a variety of reasons, I've lost track of the number of aquarists over the years who ultimately regretted getting that smaller sized, 125 gallon aquarium.
-
You definitely made the right choice. ;)
I would like to run this stocking list past you, i got my 150 gallon aquarium today. Over the next few days i will be prepping my tank, but this weekend its about to go down. This is what i am looking to stock the tank with….
1 Starry Night, 1 Red Spotted Severn, 1 Green Terror, 2 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Phantom Green Pleco, 1 Snow Ball pleco, 6 Geophagus Red Head Tapajos. I am using sand for substrate, got some wood from current 75 gal and other pieces of wood from previous tanks. Running FX4 and FX6 for filtration. I am open to adding or taking away……..

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
This stocking list looks pretty good. Here's some changes I recommend,
  • No Blue Acaras! Too much potential conspecific problems with your Green Terror (spawning or hyper-aggression)
  • Substitute those Blue Acaras with a single individual of this Cichlid,
Underwater Fin Organism Water Fish

Hypselecara temporalis, Chocolate or Emerald Cichlid
-
- Your Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters will work. Only one male though will be tolerated in the group, so be ready to cull out excess males. Once you have a dominant male emerge, he'll thrash or kill any other 'pretenders' to his Throne!
NOTE: You could go with a larger Earth Eater Species if you like. A single 1M-4F group of Geophagus surinamensis, G. proximus, or G. altifrons would bring a bit larger size and a lot of color to your tank.
- The Snowball Pleco may be a bit small-growing for this tank. Substituting with a slightly larger species, might be safer to stock with around these fairly sizable Cichlids.
NOTE: Be sure to provide some dark, pretty secure hiding places for these Plecos. You may have a knucklehead that emerges from your Cichlid group, that just loves to torture Plecos. Providing your catfish some dark and safe places to hide in, will definitely be appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This stocking list looks pretty good. Here's some changes I recommend,
  • No Blue Acaras! Too much potential conspecific problems with your Green Terror (spawning or hyper-aggression)
  • Substitute those Blue Acaras with a single individual of this Cichlid,
View attachment 139737
Hypselecara temporalis, Chocolate or Emerald Cichlid
-
- Your Red Headed Tapajos Earth Eaters will work. Only one male though will be tolerated in the group, so be ready to cull out excess males. Once you have a dominant male emerge, he'll thrash or kill any other 'pretenders' to his Throne!
NOTE: You could go with a larger Earth Eater Species if you like. A single 1M-4F group of Geophagus surinamensis, G. proximus, or G. altifrons would bring a bit larger size and a lot of color to your tank.
- The Snowball Pleco may be a bit small-growing for this tank. Substituting with a slightly larger species, might be safer to stock with around these fairly sizable Cichlids.
NOTE: Be sure to provide some dark, pretty secure hiding places for these Plecos. You may have a knucklehead that emerges from your Cichlid group, that just loves to torture Plecos. Providing your catfish some dark and safe places to hide in, will definitely be appreciated!
Thanks so much for the feed back, it is greatly appreciated for a i grow in this hobby. I have been calling around looking for a Emerald Cichlid And no luck. I can order but i am setting the tank up this weekend and fear of ordering and then adding this one fish alone. I am planning on adding all stock in the same day with the others.
What would be your recommendation as a second if i can not find a Emerald Cichlid….

1 - 9 of 9 Posts