Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to switch h my already cycled tank of two years to cichlids, I previously kept Angelfish.I have a 55 gallon tank that has gravel which I intend to switch to silica sand, is this an ok substrate?I have high Ph water and have always had to use Ph lower for my tropicals so Ph wont be a problem.also I have one filter that houses two carbon filters and needed to know if this was acceptable or if I need to invest in a new filter and I have two big airstones that cause quite a bit of surface disruption so I think I'm ok there.other than those questions I'm wanting to set up a Malawi tank that contains:(ideally)
4 x Cynotilapia afra (1m:3f)
4 x Pseudotropheus saulosi (1m:3f)
4 x Labidochromis caeruleus (1m:3f)
Keep in mind this is ideally the fish I want but I need to know if they would all work together and if the amounts are correct.

I also need to know if anyone could direct me to a good fish shop in the Dallas/Ft worth, TX area that I could get my fish from as I don't want "mixed" cichlids from general pet shops.

I hope I posted this on the right forum forgive me if I didn't I'm relatively new to this forum and appreciate any help and advice.Thanks![/img]
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,523 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Please check Reviews and the Trading Post. These sections are provided so that Cichlid-forum can keep vendor and buy/sell discussions out of the forums.

You may want to choose between the saulosi and the cynotilapia as sometimes having two blue-barred species in the tank can cause competition and aggression problems.

I like to have four females plus a male...I have had trouble with quads in the past.

What is the gallons per hour (gph) turnover of your existing filter? You want at least 4X the volume of your tank hourly, and some people like 10X. 7X seems about right for me.

Enjoy your tank!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Djransom thank you I probably should have posted in the tank setup forum first.what other species would You recommend to go with the labs and saulosi?I don't have any clue about how much water turnover I have is there a way to figure it out?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,523 Posts
Try looking up the specs on the internet or email the manufacturer.

Choose something that is not yellow or orange and does not have blue bars. Also avoid Labidochromis.

Pseudotropheus socolofi or Metriaclima callainos for a solid pale blue color?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Even labs and saulosi might be worth reconsidering.

Although labs do look different than saulosi, that's a lot of yellow. Unless you really like yellow!

A suggestion:
Metriaclima estherae (especially if you can find some that are OB)
Pseudotropheus saulosi
Pseudotropheus socolofi

kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
heres my opinion: id say stay away from any cynotilapia they would cause havoc in a 55gallon id say like said above go for a socolofi and these would mix great with labs,, labs are little pets and wont generally be aggrerissive towards any species in the wild there usually a lot deeper than most ,,about 60m or so and at the same time you will keep chances of hybreds down to a minimum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I think I've decided to go with either socolofi and saulosi or labs and socolofi.would you do a 1m:4f ratio for both species?and with that said is that all the fish you would put in there?I don't want to over crowd my tank is 48" long so I've got some room but I don't want to overdue it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
id say stay away from any cynotilapia they would cause havoc in a 55gallon
Not in my experience. Most cynotilapia can do quite well in a 55 gallon. (That guy in my icon lives in a 55 gallon :thumb: )

I think the combo of yellow labs + cynotilapia afra would make a great tank. I agree with the above posters that the saulosi would not be a good third species due to possible aggression / cross-breeding. Either Ps. Socolofi or Iodotropheus Sperengae (aka rusties) would make a nice third species if you go this route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Kanorin said:
id say stay away from any cynotilapia they would cause havoc in a 55gallon
Not in my experience. Most cynotilapia can do quite well in a 55 gallon. (That guy in my icon lives in a 55 gallon :thumb: )

I think the combo of yellow labs + cynotilapia afra would make a great tank. I agree with the above posters that the saulosi would not be a good third species due to possible aggression / cross-breeding. Either Ps. Socolofi or Iodotropheus Sperengae (aka rusties) would make a nice third species if you go this route.
yes cynotilapia will do fine if its the only cynotilapia for instance jalo reef your profile pic he will most likely be the dominant species in your tank but if you were to add a cynotilapia mbamba a differnt cyno species you would have big problems and this is a proven fact and a would also presume you dont have any adult yellow labs in your tank witch this guy wants to stock witch is why i advise against cyno... reason being most haps or cyno tend to stress labs out giving them a dark black misty color around there face!!! also a proven fact of stress :wink: and it prob would be best to over crowd your tank especially with malawis compared to tanganykas :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
k.lytle said:
Ok I think I've decided to go with either socolofi and saulosi or labs and socolofi.would you do a 1m:4f ratio for both species?and with that said is that all the fish you would put in there?I don't want to over crowd my tank is 48" long so I've got some room but I don't want to overdue it.
Are you buying these as juvies?
I'd go saulosi and socolofi, however, in my experience socolofi's conspecific aggression is underrated. So..I'd probably add 8 or 9 juvies and remove additional males as they mature resulting in 1m:6/7f.
Saulosi, again, if purchasing juvies, get 8 or 9, and remove extra males, you could do 1m:4f or 2m:6/7females.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTZ I'm hoping to get juveniles but I've got to find a good fish shop in the ft area first =) so you would go with the socolofi and saulosi only?I wanted have a variety of colors somewhat and I feel like it might be too much blue but I haven't decided yet.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,523 Posts
Don't forget with the saulosi only the one male is blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
davy jones said:
Kanorin said:
id say stay away from any cynotilapia they would cause havoc in a 55gallon
Not in my experience. Most cynotilapia can do quite well in a 55 gallon. (That guy in my icon lives in a 55 gallon :thumb: )

I think the combo of yellow labs + cynotilapia afra would make a great tank. I agree with the above posters that the saulosi would not be a good third species due to possible aggression / cross-breeding. Either Ps. Socolofi or Iodotropheus Sperengae (aka rusties) would make a nice third species if you go this route.
yes cynotilapia will do fine if its the only cynotilapia for instance jalo reef your profile pic he will most likely be the dominant species in your tank but if you were to add a cynotilapia mbamba a differnt cyno species you would have big problems and this is a proven fact and a would also presume you dont have any adult yellow labs in your tank witch this guy wants to stock witch is why i advise against cyno... reason being most haps or cyno tend to stress labs out giving them a dark black misty color around there face!!! also a proven fact of stress :wink: and it prob would be best to over crowd your tank especially with malawis compared to tanganykas :thumb:
I'm a little confused with your response davy jones. Cynotilapia are mbuna from lake malawi just like labs, etc. Why are you comparing them to haps and tanganykans?

Cyno's are dwarf mbuna and well suited for life as part of the typical 3 mbuna species 55g standard setup. Some afras like cobue are said to not color up unless they are dominant, which tells me that they are on the more peaceful side tending to get bullied. Haras are another great cyno and provide a stunning contrast when paired with a species like yellow labs. I like jalo males as well but not the drab females. Your post is the first I've heard of any cyno species wrecking havok in a 55g and not being good tank mates for yellow labs, could you please provide some other reference as to how this is a proven fact?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I've decided to go with saulosi, socolofi and rusty's does that sound like an ok mix to y'all?I'm thinking I'll do a ratio of 1 male to 4 females for all three species.will those ratios be alright for these three?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also I'd like to get a general idea of what's a decent price for juveniles.saulosi-$10, rustys-$9, socolfi-$9.I've seen them sold for $20 a piece at my LFS and I figurdd that was too high but I looked at some online stores and this is a general price they are going for.lastly would you add just one species at a time since I'll likely be buying 8-9 at a time and returning extra males?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
k.lytle said:
Also I'd like to get a general idea of what's a decent price for juveniles.saulosi-$10, rustys-$9, socolfi-$9.I've seen them sold for $20 a piece at my LFS and I figurdd that was too high but I looked at some online stores and this is a general price they are going for.lastly would you add just one species at a time since I'll likely be buying 8-9 at a time and returning extra males?
Check the reviews section for LFS's, hopefully you can find one close by that has stock or will order for you. Alternatively you can order online and have them shipped, just make sure you have somewhere to trade in for cash/store credit. Some online retailers will pick male/female for you, so that might be something to consider inquiring about.
As far as adding your fish, as long as your tank is cycled and is processing 2-5ppm ammonia within 24 hours, you should be fine adding them all at the same time.
Did you find out any info on your filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks GTZ, I'll be checking out a couple of the LFS on the reviews to see if they have the fish I'm wanting.I just didn't want to overload my tank putting a ton of fish in at once.what did you think about my new stock list does that sound like an ok list?
As to my filter I haven't found out much from the retailer but I looked online and it certainly doesn't have the water turnover needed so I'll be getting a new filter to go along with mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
Stocklist looks good to me too :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top