Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come here because it's a forum I've been recommended by a couple of friends. I'm getting a 180 litre/40 Gallons (imperial) tank and I was wondering what kind of Cichlids (if any) I could have in that size tank? I don't have the tank yet so it's not like I'm doomed to a certain size/type of tank. But what do you guys think? Any suggestions would be amazing help :)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You could probably start with the African cichild and the New World cichlid galleries. Tank dimensions would help, but sounds like you need to zero in on a couple of smaller species. I keep Tanganyikans so I'll recommend you take look at Altolamprologus, Julidochromis, and 'Lamprologus'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would suggest some convicts or rainbows, maybe firemouths. Or a fish that is one of my favs is jewel cichlids. Amazing beautiful fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thanks guys! =D I've found the kind of tank I want it's 39.37 inches long x 19.68 Inches Wide x 15.74inches tall.

Do I need to make it taller? Or is that completely the wrong kind of tank? I was also looking at the Cookie Cutter listing (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_40g.php) Are they all good fish for that size aquarium? I feel so stupid, I've worked with Cichlids before but this would be the first tank thats 'mine' so I don't want to do anything monumentally stupid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
your tank height is fine for most stuff, discuss or angels may want more vertical space but otherwise, I would say the longer the better, that gives you more surface area which is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That will be fine to start, add a an extra HOB filter for good measure and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you're starting out with cichlids and aren't sure which species you want, you can't go wrong with getting the largest tank you can afford and/or have room for.
Also, take a look through the different species as prov356 suggested as well as the different cookie cutter setups for examples of suggested stocking for different tank sizes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, the tank I've got my eyes on is 40 Imperial Gallons (is 200 Litres) and just checked it's around 52 US Gallons. I'm assuming that's what the cookie cutter set ups have been based on? I have been looking through the ones for the African Cichlids. I do like the look of this set up:

Victoria & Malawi Combo

• Astatotilapia latifasciata - trio
• Pseudotropheus saulosi - 7
• Ancistrus temminckii "Bristlenose Pleco" - 2

I've seen all of these in my LFS so they shouldn't be hard to get of. But I'll use the Cookie Cutter's as Imperial gallons so I don't overstock too much. That's hot off the Cookie Cutter's. Do you reckon they're a good selection to start with? Will the Bristlenose be okay with the set up as it is? I think the tank I'm looking at now is probably as big as I'm going to be able to get, not from a monetary point of view, but purely space.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You may want to wait on the b-nose pleco's... they wont have much to eat at first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me again! :)

So the tank I'm actually getting is about 3 ft long and around 180 litres (40 imperial gallons, roughly 47.5 US Gallons). I was thinking of Salousi only tank, but what other species could they live with in that size tank? Or should I keep it as just a Salousi tank? Or are there any other fish that you would recommend that aren't necassarily on the cookie cutter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.