Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been about a 9 days since I noticed that my largest Demasoni was holding, but now her mouth doesn't seem to be quite as "full" as it was. Although she is still mainly hiding in the rocks, but is coming out at feeding time and snacking on little peices of flake food that are sinking down by her. She will not go after the pellets I feed (but she used too).

So do you think that she is no longer holding? Is in common for the swelling in the mouth area go down after holding a while or do you think she has swallowed the eggs?

Hoping she didn't as I am really excited to see this feat of nature go on, but if so there is always next time. Am trying to get a recent picture but she isnt coming out so will try and post a picture as soon as I get a chance to take it once she is out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture I just got of her. At first her under her mouth had more of a hump to it but now it just doesn't seem to be as big. I was gone for 4 days so dont know if it is just me not looking at her for that amount of time or what.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is this her first time holding?

It looks to me that she may have swallowed them :(

Watch her for about 5 minutes, If she still looks like shes chewing or pushing her throat in and out then she may still have a couple in there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes this is her first time holding, and I kinda have had the same thought. :( She is still hiding most of the time and like I said won't eat anything but a few small flakes that make it down by her. I guess all I can do is just wait for another week or so and then see if anything comes out. Think I'd be better off not trying to strip her in this case if I am uncertain if she is still holding to prevent un-necessary stress or dont you guys think it will matter very much either way?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Think I'd be better off not trying to strip her in this case if I am uncertain if she is still holding to prevent un-necessary stress or dont you guys think it will matter very much either way?
I have had this happen a few times with different females, and I think before its time to strip you will know for sure if she is still holding or not. Since she is still hiding and not eating I'm guessing she has a couple eggs left, just not enough to make her throat bulge.

Every time my females have fully spit/swallowed, I could easily tell at feeding time.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I bet she's still holding some if she's not eating voraciously.
I've found that the throat bulge often tends to get smaller about 3-5 days post-fertilization and then tends to get bigger around day 15+. Maybe the eggs kind of settle in and don't take up as much room or maybe the female tends to swallow a few? Whatever the reason, I've definitely noticed it happening with some of my females too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an auratus cichlid that is holding right now and I too noticed her mouth has slimmed up a bit. But I can confirm that she is still holding. I wouldn't worry about it. If she swallowed some or not, most likely she is still holding. If she's hiding, not eating and being VERY territorial then she's still holding. Mine is very active for not eating, chases all the other cichlids around and such. Good luck =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
most likely she ate some :( very common for there first time although i doubt she ate them all if she is still skitish and not eating proper.. the way i see it is you could strip her now and cull the eggs and get her back feeding proper the fact that she spawned means your water is pristine :thumb: and her tank mates suit.... so if you keep what your doing with waterchanges etc... she will be holding again in no time and cichlids are smart she will have learned her lesson and most likely will not eat her next spawn :) but i would cull whats the point of stressing her for 2 fry if she ate them that means she was to stressed from not eating or not strong enough if this is the case there is a high chance of her dieing if she goes the whole way,, but if you cull now you can have her healthy enough in no time for a nice full spawn witch will be worth it in comparison... also iv noticed you have posted you are getting more cichlids for your tank(demosoni) this could and most likely will upset the natural order of things in the tank especialy with demosoni the point im trying to make is when you do this you could stress her to death,,,she could be bullied to death,,,,or it could take a long time before she is comfortable enough to spawn again :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah once I notice that she was holding I put a hault on the plans of getting some more fish until this is done and over with for a little. She is a very good looking fish and wouldnt want her to pass over my impatients. Did set up a new filter the tank today tho so hope that wont disturb things too much for her.

She is still very active also and out and about quite a bit but just not eating and does chase everyone else that tries and comes by her when she is hiding between the rocks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Yeah once I notice that she was holding I put a hault on the plans of getting some more fish until this is done and over with for a little. She is a very good looking fish and wouldnt want her to pass over my impatients. Did set up a new filter the tank today tho so hope that wont disturb things too much for her.

She is still very active also and out and about quite a bit but just not eating and does chase everyone else that tries and comes by her when she is hiding between the rocks.
more than likely still holding :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well last night I was watching the Dem that I had holding to see if I could see any more signs of her still having any fry in her mouth, and then I noticed that there was 2 others that were not coming out of thier hiding places and and when they finally did wouldnt ya know it they are holding also.

Well I am positive that one of them is holding and the other sure looked like it but didnt get much of a view since she was back in her rock within a second. You guys werent kidding on once they start....... :dancing:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its been about 19 days and I couldnt take the suspense any longer so I seperated her and checked her mouth.... and..... Nothing :x Ohh well I still have another Dem and a Red Peacock holding just have to wait a couple more weeks. I have read that it is quite common for them to not hold the full term on their first time around so I was kinda half expecting this, especially with my luck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That sucks! That must be disappointing if you were hoping for fry. Were you not able to tell if she was still holding or not before you checked?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bmweiler09 said:
That sucks! That must be disappointing if you were hoping for fry. Were you not able to tell if she was still holding or not before you checked?
I was watching her, and she lost most of the "bulge" under her chin, but was still hiding out, not eating, and smacking her lips like chewing gum. I think most of the time I was seeing the bulge I was just wishing it was still there. Also read alot of cases where she would end up still spitting a couple of fry.

Its not that I need the fish as all mine are doing fine with their numbers so far, I just wanted to get the whole experience. There is always next time. Still have the other 2 for sure holding (can see the eggs in her mouth if I watch her. :dancing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts