Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well established 48" 55 gal tank stocked with yellow labs, rusties, cobalt blue, demasoni, and two venustus (hap). It's about a year now and all the fish are great but they all hide when I or anyone else come near the tank. I thought this would change with time but it hasn't. The only time they all come out is in the morning for feeding time.

I was thinking of feeding them less but more times per day so they get used to coming out every time I go to the tank. Would that work? They are beautiful fish but can't see them much.

Water is good, no nitrites or ammonia,40ppm nitrite. Excellent filtration, 2 cascade 1000's. Very little aggression.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think you meant to say 40ppm nitrate. I would try to get that down to closer to 20 but I don't think that has anything to do with shyness.

Maybe the feeding less more often could work. From time to time I have encountered groups of fish like yours and nothing seems to work. Sometimes a different more adventuresome fish added to the mix can break the skittishness but I am not sure what fish that would be.

Is your tank in a high traffic area or a quiet secluded place? If you sit at the tank quietly for a couple of minutes will they come out, even if not feeding time?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Try splitting your stock into two separate tanks. All it takes is one nervous fish to have them all hiding.

I'd do demasoni (12) and 1m:4f rusties and 1m:4f cobalts in one tanks and1m:4f of each of the labs/venustus in the other.

Also 2 fish in a species group rarely works unless they are both females. Two males will fight and 1m:1f will have the male harassing the females.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
ironspider said:
I have a well established 48" 55 gal tank stocked with yellow labs, rusties, cobalt blue, demasoni, and two venustus (hap). It's about a year now and all the fish are great but they all hide when I or anyone else come near the tank. I thought this would change with time but it hasn't. The only time they all come out is in the morning for feeding time.

I was thinking of feeding them less but more times per day so they get used to coming out every time I go to the tank. Would that work? They are beautiful fish but can't see them much.

Water is good, no nitrites or ammonia,40ppm nitrite. Excellent filtration, 2 cascade 1000's. Very little aggression.
How many fish total?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
punman said:
I think you meant to say 40ppm nitrate. I would try to get that down to closer to 20 but I don't think that has anything to do with shyness.

Maybe the feeding less more often could work. From time to time I have encountered groups of fish like yours and nothing seems to work. Sometimes a different more adventuresome fish added to the mix can break the skittishness but I am not sure what fish that would be.

Is your tank in a high traffic area or a quiet secluded place? If you sit at the tank quietly for a couple of minutes will they come out, even if not feeding time?
If I sit there and not move some will come over. If I'm taking a video or a picture, the demasoni will be the ham and jump in front of whatever I'm doing.

It's a low traffic house, I live alone and with the exception of guests some nights of the week, it's quiet in here all the time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Try splitting your stock into two separate tanks. All it takes is one nervous fish to have them all hiding.

I'd do demasoni (12) and 1m:4f rusties and 1m:4f cobalts in one tanks and1m:4f of each of the labs/venustus in the other.

Also 2 fish in a species group rarely works unless they are both females. Two males will fight and 1m:1f will have the male harassing the females.
You've mentioned these ratios before but two things. I can't do another tank, space prohibits another 55 gal. I'll do a small breeder tank but thats it. I have a few questions regarding this though.

I still can't tell the sex of the fish, so i can't modify the ratios properly

I absolutely love my demasoni, prettiest darn fish, so I won't get rid of one.

How would i rehome fish? I don't like the venustus, I'd rather replace them with more demasoni, but how? What do I do with them.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Check with a good LFS that specializes in Cichlids and they may take the fish or even pay you 1/3 the retail value for store credit. Or sell them at auction...Many clubs have auctions every month and usually they at least have a large auction spring and fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.