Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its weird to see bubbles sticking to the glass near the surface on day. I googled & found it could be use to high protein in water &
replaced 20% which resolved.
But what makes me insane is, the bubbles were observed from the second day of cleaning & i changed almost
75% to reduce nitrate to ~10ppm. The bad news is i lost a Turkish peacock with mouth stuck opened :( .

Has anyone come up with bubble issue? is that due to protein or ammonia spike( mine is established tank )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
My tanks, especially my 450gal, always have lots of bubbles in the water/walls near surface due to the filter returns causing surface agitation. But never had a problem with it. What size tank and type of filter do you use? Could the bubbles be caused by water surface agitation from the filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is 55gal, running with sunsun canister and I also have surface agitator. As mentioned these bubbles doesn't break like the one produced from filter output & I never observed before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
A few questions to help me understand your setup:

1. What's your regular water change schedule - amount & frequency, aside from the 20% and 75% water changes you recently did?
2. What are the tank occupants - species & numbers. Any new fish in the past 7-10 days?
3. What declorinator or water conditioner do you use when doing water changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ken31cay said:
A few questions to help me understand your setup:
1. What's your regular water change schedule - amount & frequency, aside from the 20% and 75% water changes you recently did?
Weekly 40-50%

2. What are the tank occupants - species & numbers. Any new fish in the past 7-10 days?
All are Malawi mix, with 7 Peacock, 1 acei & 3 mabuna; all we're raised in same tank & they are 3 to3.5 inch in size. No new additions!!

3. What declorinator or water conditioner do you use when doing water changes.
I use Seachem Prime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
I wanted to see if I could help identify the source of your issue but right now all I can suggest is to continue what you're doing with WC and tank maintenance, make sure you use sufficient Prime during your WC, don't over feed your fish, and keep a close watch for any foreign material (chemicals, soap, etc) that may enter your tank's environment.

Turkish peacock with mouth stuck opened
I've had this happen a few times with shipped fish where the stress of the shipping caused them to die with their mouth open within a day or so after going in my tank. I think chlorine or other chemicals in the water might also cause this type of fish death.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ken31cay said:
I wanted to see if I could help identify the source of your issue but right now all I can suggest is to continue what you're doing with WC and tank maintenance, make sure you use sufficient Prime during your WC, don't over feed your fish, and keep a close watch for any foreign material (chemicals, soap, etc) that may enter your tank's environment.

Turkish peacock with mouth stuck opened
I've had this happen a few times with shipped fish where the stress of the shipping caused them to die with their mouth open within a day or so after going in my tank. I think chlorine or other chemicals in the water might also cause this type of fish death.

Good luck.
Ya, it's very difficult for me trace back & identify the root cause.. another source of change is added super glue at the filter output connector; but I cured for more than an hour outside and connected. I read earlier that super glue are inert, so used the same.

Thank you for your suggestion & will try to continue & will update the post.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
Superglue should not be any problems as it is commonly used in aquarium projects.

Have the bubbles been sticking to the glass for awhile or is this a new issue?

Any chance you can post some pics of your tank and the issue in particular?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
I've read that most super glue (Cyanoacrylate gel) is aquarium safe but there are others that are only safe after they are fully cured. What brand of super glue did you use?

I found this from a quick google search:

Although common Superglue becomes inert in water, it contains a solvent called Toluene which is a highly toxic chemical. If you use Superglue to glue something from your tank, it is advisable to leave it to dry for at least an hour and then soak the piece in water for at least 24 hours to remove the residue that toluene leaves behind.

I can't say whether the super glue was actually the cause of the issue but IMO the problem does seem to have been caused by some foreign agent within your tank environment.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,891 Posts
I find many (most?) fish that die for whatever reason have their mouth open. I don't think it goes to cause of death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deeda said:
Superglue should not be any problems as it is commonly used in aquarium projects.

Have the bubbles been sticking to the glass for awhile or is this a new issue?

Any chance you can post some pics of your tank and the issue in particular?
Ya its a new issue & unfortunately i haven't snapped it. I didnt observe, after the
water change; so far.

ken31cay said:
I've read that most super glue (Cyanoacrylate gel) is aquarium safe but there are others that are only safe after they are fully cured. What brand of super glue did you use?

I found this from a quick google search:

Although common Superglue becomes inert in water, it contains a solvent called Toluene which is a highly toxic chemical. If you use Superglue to glue something from your tank, it is advisable to leave it to dry for at least an hour and then soak the piece in water for at least 24 hours to remove the residue that toluene leaves behind.

I can't say whether the super glue was actually the cause of the issue but IMO the problem does seem to have been caused by some foreign agent within your tank environment.
Yup, even i think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
I find many (most?) fish that die for whatever reason have their mouth open. I don't think it goes to cause of death.
I found many case with food pellet stuck / jaw lock!! but i can assure not due to food in that incident.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,891 Posts
I've only had that once, a heartbreaking event where a baby syno got a chunk of green pea stuck in his mouth-throat.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top