Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had a this guy in a 75g tank... Had him while my tank was still cycling. Could it be toxic poisoning?

My levels are now

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10ppm
Kh 9

He started acting very shy/timid. Hiding behind the anubia. Not interested in eating.

I added 11 new peacocks last week and since then hes been very off.

Hes been put into a 10g hospital tank with some salt and garlic added in too. His poop is a stringy white and his body is looking slightly skinny and has zero interest in food. His breathing is has calmed down since hes been in the Hosp tank.

I also didnt notice any poop on him while he was in the main tank but since i dosed it with pure garlic and now anti fluke & wormer *** seen more of it coming out.

What has he got?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah poop.

Do i need to treat rest of tank then?

Noone else showing any signs of beibg lerhargic nor not interested bin food?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry forgot to mention that he has sadly passed away this morning. He was 1 of my first batch of peacocks i got.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dvt81 said:
Sorry forgot to mention that he has sadly passed away this morning. He was 1 of my first batch of peacocks i got.
Very sorry that you lost your fish. It pays to keep a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium around to use for a hospital tank for sick fish; it makes medicating them less expensive and possibly keeps the rest of your fish healthy, if they have not already contracted what is making the first fish sick. I keep a small hang-on-the-back filter running on one of my larger tanks so I have a cycled filter if/when needed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dvt81 said:
Is it bloat?
Could have been; unless your other fish are highly stressed and/or your water quality is poor, they will probably be alright. If any of your other fish start to show the same symptoms, I would remove them and begin treatment. I have only had one fish get bloat, a young Red Zebra Mbuna. It passed before I realized what was going on, none of the others in the tank were effected.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Although it can happen to any fish, mbuna are more susceptible than peacocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates at 10
Ph is 8.2
Kh is at 10.

However i have just recently started the full nitro cycle... So the wee guy in particular was in during the tank was cycling but he was fine until i added the 11 new guys, however i removed 7 old guys in the tank and replaced with 11 so was only an addition of 4 extra fisg in total.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
He could have been damaged by living through the cycle and the toxins in the tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully so. After just starting out im gutted to lose a fish. Especially 1 of first i bought but this will stand me in good stead going forward.

On another note.

I bought 2 bristlenose catfish from my local store. They are about an inch in length. 1 wee guy has bulked out and looking good while the other has a white line along his back where his dorsal fin should be. Hes smaller and hasnt grown much if anything.
Has he been pecked at by the peacocks? Or is this something more sinister at hand?

The one that is fine is always out and about doing his daily maintenance while hes always hiding and i hardly ever see him.

Any input would be great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts