Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been keeping 4 Lionheads (or Blockheads) for a year now. They fully grown, but last month all them died one by one. Today last one passed away.
Tank size (40galons). Other fish: 1 red zebra female, 1 auratus Female, 2 Jewels, 2 albino plecos. I checked the water everything was great, water changes 1 time in a week. Feeding cichlid pellets once a day, one time in a week frozen redworms. Is the problem that maybe the tank is too small? The red zebra took all the tank and now she is the boss, also always fighting with Jewel 2 males.
Maybe I should take all fish out and give to fish store and replace them with dwarf cichlids due to tank size?
Every answer is appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I couldn't say exactly what happened to your Blockheads, but you certainly chose aggressive tank mates. All 4 other cichlids are much more aggressive then Blockheads. IME, Blockheads don't do that well in the company of aggressive cichlids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't say exactly what happened to your Blockheads, but you certainly chose aggressive tank mates. All 4 other cichlids are much more aggressive then Blockheads. IME, Blockheads don't do that well in the company of aggressive cichlids.
Maybe they got bullied to much. But no damage was visible on the fish. No bites or anything.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Sorry you lost all of your Blockhead Cichlids. Those are a pretty amazing species to keep in the aquarium! But unfortunately, often you can't see visible/physical signs of serious stress in bullied fish. Not eating, hiding constantly, or just relentlessly getting harried and chased, can weaken and suppress a bullied fish's immune system pretty badly, leading almost inevitably to death.
And I definitely agree with @BC in SK, that you placed those pretty peaceful African riverine Blockhead Cichlids in with a very rough crowd. If you decide to try that species again, it would be best if you set up a high current (high Oxygenation/White Water type) biotope aquarium for them, in a somewhat species-specific stocking scheme.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry you lost all of your Blockhead Cichlids. Those are a pretty amazing species to keep in the aquarium! But unfortunately, often you can't see visible/physical signs of serious stress in bullied fish. Not eating, hiding constantly, or just relentlessly getting harried and chased, can weaken and suppress a bullied fish's immune system pretty badly, leading almost inevitably to death.
And I definitely agree with @BC in SK, that you placed those pretty peaceful African riverine Blockhead Cichlids in with a very rough crowd. If you decide to try that species again, it would be best if you set up a high current (high Oxygenation/White Water type) biotope aquarium for them, in a somewhat species-specific stocking scheme.
Thank you for your answer. But the “crowd” who is left in tank? Can they be kept together? red zebra female and red jewel 2 males still keep fighting.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
The substrate spawning Hemichromis sp. males could possibly stay in with the mouth brooding, Red Zebra Mbuna. And no, I'm not surprised they are fighting with each other in your tank. You have some pretty confused Cichlids in there!
My recommendation? Pull both of those African Mbuna out of this tank. Your aquarium is just too small to properly keep African Mbuna type Cichlids with others of its same species and type, to balance out all of the aggression. With the Mbuna gone and just the two male Red Jewels in there, they will work out some things pretty quickly with each other. And ultimately, with no spawning interest to drive aggression, the tank should settle down a LOT.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The substrate spawning Hemichromis sp. males could possibly stay in with the mouth brooding, Red Zebra Mbuna. And no, I'm not surprised they are fighting with each other in your tank. You have some pretty confused Cichlids in there!
My recommendation? Pull both of those African Mbuna out of this tank. Your aquarium is just too small to properly keep African Mbuna type Cichlids with others of its same species and type, to balance out all of the aggression. With the Mbuna gone and just the two male Red Jewels in there, they will work out some things pretty quickly with each other. And ultimately, with no spawning interest to drive aggression, the tank should settle down a LOT.
Thanks for the advice!, but only two fish and 2 plecos, who always hide under rocks- seems quite a boring wiev :(

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
That's why they invented this thing called 'Dither Fish'. For your size aquarium, stock with a school of 6 to 10 (depending on size of species). Congo Tetras, Rainbow Fish, Giant Danios or even some fast swimming New World Tetras (The 'Black Skirt' or 'Sepae' Tetra) would be good ones to try.
And, with all of the movement and activity exhibited by the 'Dither' fish, your Cichlids will tend to want to come out and keep an eye on things (instead of sulking under a rock or in a cave). :cool:

Reactions: MarcusasJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why they invented this thing called 'Dither Fish'. For your size aquarium, stock with a school of 6 to 10 (depending on size of species). Congo Tetras, Rainbow Fish, Giant Danios or even some fast swimming New World Tetras (The 'Black Skirt' or 'Sepae' Tetra) would be good ones to try.
And, with all of the movement and activity exhibited by the 'Dither' fish, your Cichlids will tend to want to come out and keep an eye on things (instead of sulking under a rock or in a cave). :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts