Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type(s) of Trophs are best for a Troph starter? I have kept Fronts, and have researched the problems with Trophs, but are certain types better than others? They would be in a 90g, any sugguestions would be great. I have spent alot of time at the library (Forums) reading about various types and such..

Thank you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
it seems that when you take into account the character, it's dubs that are easyer then the others. feeding etc is the same I guess...

I'm not the expert though ;)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The best thing you can do is read all about everthing you can find.

I really dont think there is any particular Tropheus that is easier to start with, but there are some that are more agressive than others that take a little more experience with agression to deal with, and there are more types that are a lot more rare that carry a higher price tag that you would not want to start out with.

The most widely distributed Tropheus in the market is Duboisi, which is going to be cheaper and easier to acquire a group size in them. They are also very interesting because of the color change progress they make from fry to adult. They are also my all time favorite Tropheus and I have enjoyed keeping them for 11 years.

In a 90 gallon standard US Aquarium the dimensions are 48" x 18" x 25" In this foot print you can keep 20-24 Adults that will have plenty of room for breeding and growth potential in reaching their full adult size of 5-6" In order to do this, you will need filtration to have 7-10X turnover rate per hour in the aquarium, and minimally 50% weekly waterchange or 75% bi-weekly. Wet/dry filtration is best suited for keeping higher O2 levels, but canisters and powerfilters can be used as long as the turnover remains on the high end of the scale.

When you go to buy the fish, get the food that the seller is has them eating now, and use that for the first 2 weeks, then start to wein them over to the food your wanting to feed them. Also get the seller's water's pH and have your aquarium within +/- 0.5 to start off with. Then over the next several waterchanges you can adjust it but I would not go below 7.5 and I personally believe 8 to 8.2 is best.

It is all going to depend on your budget and your tastes. For starting I would recomend good quality F1's from two differnt sources, or get other tankraised/pondraised juvinile fish, about 20-25 of them.

It is not that hard to get them mail order, if you cannot find a local source.

In a group size of 25 you will be safe agression wise. If you want Mpimbwe or Annectens get a 6 ft tank such as 125 and get 30-40 fish with as few of males possible. Otherwise, all the rest are good to go at 20-25.

Duboisi groups do fine as small as 10-12, but in a 90 gallon, that is not going to fill out much.

Best of luck with your decision...be careful..these fish are addicting as %$#@

Geoff

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have some really great breeders and fish stores here in Michigan (Oyers+Web Thumb) that have Trophs, and I think I will put them in my well-established 115 (4ft but higher and a little wider), that and I have a wet-dry for a 150-gallon plus an Aqua Clear 110 in it..

Are the tanks in the showcase in this forum a good baseline for Troph Tanks?

Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most people will tell you that debiose tropheus are the easiest. I'll not argue that point becuase the fact is that easy is a matter of perspective. However, it's my personal oppinion that one variant of troph is going to be more or less the same as the next; just get what you like. The only reason that I, as a fish salesman, reccomend the deboises to first time troph owners is cost. I'll be blunt: Expect to lose some; it's nothing personal, but every troph fanatic will tell you that they did too (me included). I thought it amusing that when you type the word "tropheus" into google one of the first sites it will pull up is one to memorialize your dead tropheus. Consistancy and perserverance reign supreme, however. If your looking for some tropheus to start with, we are located in Mount Pleasant, MI and have a few different variants. We have deboises, Ilangi, Kazumba, bemba orange flame, and an Ikola Kaiser (he's very cool). Go ahead and give us a call; we accept them between 10:00am and 10:00pm.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I would say dubs are very different to most other Tropheus species.
They can form pair bond (to some extent) and act differently to other Tropheus in tanks.
A result of being far different to other Tropheus in the wild, as in captivity.

As to weather they are easier, I would say yes but mostly they are different to other Tropheus.

With a 90g you could easily keep and breed dubs, you may have success with Sp Red or even the other moorii. I would however leave the others to those with 100g+ tanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts