Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,
New to the forum , was just after some advice if I could please.
I'm starting a Mbuna tank , rio240. I have the internal filtration and pump. I've upgraded the pump from the 600 to the 1000. Now in addition to this I'm adding a Fluval 306.
My question is I'm now starting the tank , not cycled yet. Would you advise to start both pumps at the start , or allow the internal to bed in first. My logic was it would take both pumps longer to cycle if they're both on at the start ( this could well be wrong) Or even cause spikes (again I'm not sure). I'd rather make my self look stupid by not knowing on a forum, than damaging the health of any fish.
For the record I've got coral sand in the bottom and lots of rock for the fish. I have had Malawi's before , but it was many years ago. I'm lucky where I am here as the PH of the water is already high. Any other advice or criticism please feel free , anything to aid the health of my fish

Thanks Steve

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Read the article on cycling with ammonia in the Cichlid-forum Library. Start all the pumps. The amount of bacteria is going to be determined by the amount of ammonia...not the amount of media growing space. May as well colonize all the media at once.

What is your total GPH? Shoot for 8X to 10X GPH turnover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The internal filter is 1000LPH and the external is just over 1100LPH. So that's roughly turning it over 9 times an hour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts