Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently set up my first cichlid tank with mbuna. I started a fishless cycle for just over a week and had my water tested with a local breeder I found, water came back spot on (although I can't remember the exact readings) ph was about 7.8 and nitrate was about 10, no sign of nitrite or amonia. So for the last couple of weeks iv made two trips and now I have 6 yellow labs, 5 synodontis lucinipis?, 6 maingano in my 55g 260 litre with dimensions of 121 x 46 x 64cm. I am after one last species and if anyone can recommend another species that goes well that would be much appreciated. I'm looking for some colour to compliment the electric blue and yellow and not have any more yellow as I have the labs already.

I ended up going with the maingano over demasoni as I felt the demasoni would be a challenge as a first time keeper and was reccomended the maingano as I didn't want any more yellow or dull looking females. Reading up since I got them I realise they can have issues in a 55g?

Many thanks
Theo

My substrate is sand and I have about 40g of ocean rock piled halfway up the tank with a heater and tetratec ex1200 fitted and running,

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What did you use to start your cycle? I ask because 1 week isn't enough time.

I thought mine was fast at 15 days, and I used Seachem Safe Start as cichlid substrate w/bacteria (water in the bag)

Hmm, I think with 3 species, the maingano should be fine.

You could go white (albino socks, but similar in shape to the maingano), albino red top zebras, or Red Zebras (will cross breed with your yellow labs).

·
Registered
89 Posts
The question is, how is your bacteria population? That's a big load for a week of cycling!

What filtration, substrate, plants do you have. What are your readings (ammonia, Nitrate) now?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Since the maingano might be overly aggressive for a 55G, I might just do the labs and maingano. 1m:7f for the maingano.

All true about cycling in 7 days...do you have your ammonia and nitrite readings for each day? Does your tap water have any nitrate in it?

Took me almost six weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, Yes I was suprised with how quick it cycled, I was given the sand from the owner of the tank and used some water from my existing tank and squeezed some of my media from my existing filter pads (I did have a 2ft tank which held kribs and some neons). I've looked at the socolofi, they look nice and would compliment the colours, I have heard rustys would be nice but I'm open to whatever people reccomended to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dj ransome.... I use a de chlorinator when I do a water change and have done one since *** had the tank running, I will post the water readings tomorrow as I am out of the house tonight

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I was given the sand from the owner of the tank and used some water from my existing tank and squeezed some of my media from my existing filter pads
Aha, this makes sense now. Using some veteran media would speed up the cycle considerably.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Yes, you didn't really cycle the tank, you just added established bacteria. Perfect!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops! Sorry for the confusion guys! So for the option of a third spruces djransome you think it'd be better with just two species. Ideallly i'd want a third species in there. Oh and I love my synodontis! There so cool! Pictures to follow soon

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Some people have been having trouble with maingano in a 55G. Can't hurt to try three species as long as you have a back-up plan for any aggression issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts