Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i am new to this forum but have been part of others so hello everyone.

I just lost my 90 gallon tank to Columnaris aka cotton mouth. believe it came from new fish that i added but thats not the worry now.

my question is how should i prepare my tank to set up again? what should i throw out? should i get rid of all my biomax in each of my fluvals? (i dont use carbon) should i get new substrate? I plan on draining the tank how should i clean it? do i have to?

also a second question i have about 70lbs of live rock it came right from a saltwater tank about 1.5 years ago i rinsed all of it out allready is it okay to use again? i know its not live anymore it was a good deal from craigslist.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
basic question is do i need to do anything to make sure it doesnt come back with new fish once i start it again

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't know the life span of Columnaris. Condolences on your loss.

I guess you could maybe hook up your filter to a different tank (that's clean), let it cycle a while (adding ammonia now and then to keep the bacteria alive)

Then rinse down your 90 with a weak bleach solution.

I also don't know how undead (formerly alive?) rock would do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the live rock in my tank before, since its dead i believe its basically base rock but not as ugly looking. haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts