Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a bottle of Prime to condition the water and realized that it removes Ammonia and detoxifies Nitrite and Nitrates... normally, a good thing. I can only imagine that this would totally inhibit the growth of the bacteria (by shutting out the ammonia) and be completely counterproductive to getting the tank cycled.

Should I treat the water with Prime before I start my cycle? If so, how long should I wait so that the ammonia I add for the cycle won't be affected by the effects of the Prime?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It doesn't 'remove' ammonia. It binds it up into a non-toxic form leaving it available to nitrifying bacteria. If you don't dechlorinate your water, the chlorine/chloramine could inhibit the bacteria colony you're trying to grow. Prime isn't my first choice for this though. Use a simple dechlorinator instead. If it doesn't bind ammonia, not a problem during cycling. If you don't have chloramine, but chlorine, then all the more reason to use a simple dechloriinator instead of Prime. Google your water quality report and find out if your supplier uses chloramine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
prov356 said:
It doesn't 'remove' ammonia. It binds it up into a non-toxic form leaving it available to nitrifying bacteria. If you don't dechlorinate your water, the chlorine/chloramine could inhibit the bacteria colony you're trying to grow. Prime isn't my first choice for this though. Use a simple dechlorinator instead. If it doesn't bind ammonia, not a problem during cycling. If you don't have chloramine, but chlorine, then all the more reason to use a simple dechloriinator instead of Prime. Google your water quality report and find out if your supplier uses chloramine.
http://www.egovlink.com/public_document ... 202009.pdf

Looks to me like I just have chlorine (at 0.8ppm). Do I have that right?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yes, just chlorine. So, get a cheap dechlorinator that doesn't have all the marketing gimmicks and extras like slime coat stimulators. That's all you'll need after cycling also. Use it with every water change. Just keep an eye on your water supplier. They sometimes switch to chloramine without warning.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess that means another run to the store to return the Prime and pick up the cheap stuff. That's alright, I've made plenty of those already. :lol:

Still can't find a clear pure ammonia with no surfactants. Have tried all kinds of places, discount grocery stores, Target, regular grocery stores. Nothing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
DavidH said:
Still can't find a clear pure ammonia with no surfactants. Have tried all kinds of places, discount grocery stores, Target, regular grocery stores. Nothing.
The only place I found pure ammonia was at True Value hardware, which may be just a so cal chain. I have heard people found some at Ace.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
How bold are you? Seems some get away with using ammonia that is not "pure". Some do , some don't. The difference seems to be that most ammonia has a form of soap added to make it spread out and clean better. After not finding "pure" I tried a fishless using ammoniai with surfacant and got really weird results. Perhaps it was my inexperience with the fishless method. Either way I was left to do it the old way as there seemed to be little chance of getting the correct recomended ammonia.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Dr. Tim's sells the ammonia you need if you can't find it locally. Locally I can find what I need at either Ace Hardware or Walmart.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can use Seachem Stability - it has something that measures (and acts) like ammonia (but I haven't had it harm any fish).

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
prov356 said:
What is it about the prime that you don't like? And is this only during the fishless cycling process or do you not like using it anytime?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
rgr4475 said:
prov356 said:
What is it about the prime that you don't like? And is this only during the fishless cycling process or do you not like using it anytime?
The slime coat 'stimulator'. Hopefully it doesn't do anything at all. But, it's intent is to irritate the fish into producing more slime coat to deal with the irritation. Why do I want to do that to my fish? It's just a way to try to differentiate their product. The more they can list on the bottle in the way of perceived benefits, the more likely you are to select their product over the one next to it that just dechlorinates. That's the idea, anyway. They're not the only ones that do this. The marketing people do a wonderful job of making it sound like a good thing, don't they? I prefer products that just do truly helpful things like deal with the chlorine/chloramine. Ammolock is one that I'd recommend for anyone dealing with chloramine. I just have chlorine, so I mix up my own dechlor using sodium thiosulfate crystals. I' just believe in being very guarded about what goes in my tanks.

I see people post what a wonderful job Prime does, Prime's the greatest, etc, etc. The perception is that all of these wonderful things are happening to the water when you add the product. Marketing works. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts