Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought 16 sheets of 1/4 inch 18 x 34 plate glass yesterday for 2 bucks a sheet (dude owned a retail shop and bought a case of each 18 x 34 and 20 x 34 for shelving and had 140 of each left over).

I saw his ad on craigslist, and figured for that price I'd give m own aquariums a try. So I'm thinking of building 2 34 long x 18 deep x 16 tall aquariums along with 2 smaller tanks of 17 x 16 x 16.

Anyhow, I'm not the most skilled craftsman but I've done a ton of research and am very confident in my abilities. So, I guess my question would be, for thos of you who have done this before.... Any advice for the first time aquarium builder? D-Day begins in the morning!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just a thought here. Are u sure that the glass is not tempered??

Other than that if you've done the research be confident and make it Happen!!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I would make the tanks 18 x 18x 34 so you only have to cut the end pieces. The 17" tanks might be a problem as the size is truly odd. The less glass you have to cut the better. Aside from that, if this is your first effort, it might be easier if you have a helper. You need some masking tape to hild it together, and some eople use metal corner brackets and plastic clamps to hold the top corners together. Start with the back pane than the sides, and lastly the front. Plan your assembly before you start to speed up the process. It isn't technically difficult but can be daunting the first time. The inner fillets can be added immediately, or after the structure has cured. It depends on how quickly you can get it assembled. If you have let it dry you will want to remove any silicone from inside the tahn with a razor blade before sealing. If you aren't used to using a caulking gun, try some parctice runs with the cheapest caulk you can find, on a piece of cardboard. Have some extra silicone on hand, just in case. Silicone is relatively cheap, and you can use GE Silicone I for "windows and doors". I use a houdse brand, that costs $10 for 3 tubes.You may want consider adding some braces on the ends and possibly middle, even though they aren't necessary for the strength of the tank, to aid with adding glass tops.So, that would be a 1" strip on each end, and about a 3" piece in the middle. Since you have no bottom trim, place the completed tank on 3/4" styro before filling.
I stumbled on an easy way to remove the sharpness of cut glass. If you rub it with another piece of glass it will remove the sharp edge. You can use a bottle or jar or a piece of scrap glass. If you want a more finished edge, I have used a dremel type tool with a diamond bit for that. Since you bought shelving glass, I would guess the edges have been ground. Use that to your advantage. Good luck and have fun with this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts