Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I began my fish tank ownership with cichlids about 15 years ago with an experienced cichlid owner and about 12 years had to let the tank and all the fish go. Now my boyfriend and I are ready to start a tank again and I want to do cichlids because of their great personalities and beauty. We have a 75 gallon tempered glass aquarium and nothing else so far. I was looking at some of the 3D backgrounds and I think I'm interested in doing that. Any advice, comments, or suggestions? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Here are some basic recommendations. Invest in good equipment upfront. You save money in the long term. Forget a full hood and go with a glass top. This allows more versatility regarding lighting. For lighting, LEDs are the way to go. I've had good luck with Finnex fictures. As for filtration, I'm an Eheim canister guy. They are expensive upfront, but most of the media is reusable almost indefinitely. I had some running 24/7 for 25 years before I upgraded them. Sand, especially pool filter sand, is the substrate of choice. Live plants are sometimes underappreciated with regards to keeping nitrates down and creating a good habitat for fish. If your cichlids aren't plant shredders, then anubias, Java fern and crypts are easy to grow plants which grow well under LEDs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mambee thnk you! I am going to have to build/use a hood because I have three cats that i must keep out of the tank. You still recommend a glass top with this, too? Thanks for everything. I was thinking the same about the initial investment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm going to go with what mambee said, all of it, except for the hood part. :D

I'm in the process of cycling a 75G cichlid tank right now and also am a cat owner. Get a hood up there! Cats, as you probably already know, don't distribute their weight all that well and depending on the size will break right through that glass and shoddy plastic that makes up most of our center braces.

Good luck with your aquarium, hope to see an update.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My co-worker has a cat who recently broke the glass top.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Filet O Fish said:

I'm in the process of cycling a 75G cichlid tank right now and also am a cat owner. Get a hood up there! Cats, as you probably already know, don't distribute their weight all that well and depending on the size will break right through that glass and shoddy plastic that makes up most of our center braces.

I didn't think of that when I put my glass top on. Thankfully my cats don't jump up there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ironspider said:
Filet O Fish said:

I didn't think of that when I put my glass top on. Thankfully my cats don't jump up there.
Mine do, totally disrespectful :lol: ....... :x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'm going to put a glass hood but then cover with a wooden canopy. That should do the trick, right? Thanks so much y'all!! I'll let you know what happens. It'll be a couple of months at least since we have to build the stand and hood.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Yes if you will be using a wood canopy over the tank you will also want to use the glass canopy as it will keep the condensation down or water spray from accumulating on the wood or lighting fixtures.

If you know the manufacturer or brand of your existing 75G tank you should have no problem finding a glass canopy to fit. If you don't know who made it, careful measurement of the openings will help figure out which one you need.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm going to be coating the inside of mine with clear lacquer hopefully making it a bit more water tight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used a 3D background in my 75. However it is the thin one that doesnt take a lot of tank space. It was made by Universal Rocks and I found it on Amazon. More expensive than the tape on backgrounds but looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the boyfriend and will be building the tank stand and the wooden hood. I have no real experience with fish but think they are beautiful. I am looking forward to having them in our home. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Welcome to you also!!

Which cichlids are you both considering getting? The reason for asking has mostly to do with the type of decor such as rocks, plants, driftwood, etc. There are some good articles in the C-F Library that may provide you with some good reading on the basics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.