Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

first i wanted to say this forum has helped me allot and iv learned allot as it is.

but i wanted to hear your opinions,
i want to start a malawi tank.

im looking to have Demasoni and yellow labs for sure, what would be a third specie i can have? or can i have?

also what would be the smallest tank i can have these in?

now i know Demasoni can be aggressive but i just love their color.

any input to guide me in the right direction would be great.

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
162 Posts
First welcome to Cichlid-Forum.
If you just wanted to do the yellow labs and demasoni you could do it in a 55G, since you are thinking about a 3rd species I would go with a 75G.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZcichlidfreak thanks for the fast reply. and thanks for the welcome!
if i was to go with the demasoni and lab combination, how many of each could i have? male? female?
that would be great to know as well

i also read that putting sand will mess up a filtration system. what would be the best filter system i could use given that i will most likely be putting sand at the bottom of the tank?

the tank will most likely be on top of a dresser in my bedroom, so i think that kind of eliminates the big bulky external filters, are there any i could use that sit on top of the tank?

·
Registered
162 Posts
if i was to go with the demasoni and lab combination, how many of each could i have? male? female?
You would want to shot for 1M/3-4F with the yellow labs and a colony of atleast 12 demasoni. So if you are buying juvies probably 8 labs and 15-18 demasoni to start with.
i also read that putting sand will mess up a filtration system. what would be the best filter system i could use given that i will most likely be putting sand at the bottom of the tank?

the tank will most likely be on top of a dresser in my bedroom, so i think that kind of eliminates the big bulky external filters, are there any i could use that sit on top of the tank?
To keep the sand out of your filters just keep the intakes a few inches from the bottom of the tank. You can also use a sponge prefilter over the intake to help keep it out and for additional filtration. If you can't use a canister filter a would recommend a couple of HOB's(hang on back). Maybe something like 2 aquaclear 70 on a 55.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks AZcichlidfreak, you've been great man.

what do you mean by, juvies? im guessing these are young/baby fishes i find at LFS?

also would the LFS know the differents between male and female, because i dont think i will be able to tell.

now with the demasoni, thats 15-18... now would it matter if its male or female?

so for a total of 23-26 fish? thats allot of fish lol

the Hang on back would be ideal. thanks ma man. really appreciate all the info your given me :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nobis911 said:
thanks AZcichlidfreak
what do you mean by, juvies? im guessing these are young/baby fishes i find at LFS?

also would the LFS know the differents between male and female, because i dont think i will be able to tell.
No problem with the help. :thumb:
Yes, I ment juveniles.
When buying young fish it is very difficult if not impossible to sex, that is why buying more than what you want as your final stocklist is recommended. Then as they mature you can sell or return the extra males to the LFS for store credit.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
A dresser is usually not strong enough for a fish tank, especially a 55G or a 75G. 10G maybe.

I'd invest in a tank stand.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DJRansome said:
A dresser is usually not strong enough for a fish tank, especially a 55G or a 75G. 10G maybe.

I'd invest in a tank stand.
+1 on that. Gotta figure a 55g full w all the trimmings is tipping the scale at close to 600lbs. Might hold up for a bit, but in the long run......

Better be a HEAVY DUTY dresser!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i got one Good old back in the days dresser, which is solid wood. i mean i don't see it going anywhere, but now you guys have me scared LOL

the dresser is really heavy too.

does anyone know what light to use to get that "black light look" to get the colors to show better on the fish?

also i know the penguin filter have bio wheel, would something with a bio-wheel be better?
i did a search for the aquaclear 70 but didn't see such a thing on it. maybe it produces differently?

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Tank stands are not heavy, but they do have a frame which fits the tank's frame exactly. And the frame is engineered to support the 500 pounds or so of a tank.

Maybe you are thinking about moon lights? Often it is an LED built into your fixture that you can use in the evening but does not replace your daytime lights.

Definitely cycle without fish...why kill or permanently damage a couple of labs?

Bio-wheel filters are popular, but sponge/media types like the Aqua Clear work fine too. You just need media (bio-wheel or sponge/media) to provide a place for your bacteria and water flow to supply oxygen to the bacteria and fish. Both work. I've never owned a bio-wheel but I don't see why it would be better.

·
Registered
275 Posts
HI and welcome, I am new here too. I just started my first cichlid tank with Labs and Dems. I did order 10 labs and 15 dems :eek: It does seem a little over whelming. I was in shock for a bit, but well worth it!!

I got my fish on Sat and so far everyones still here and doing great. I love to watch them. I have sand in my tank and I use the HOB filters and just made sure my intake was a few inches above the sand line.

I put my tank on my kitchen counter, and some people were telling me to be careful, and I got a littel nervous and my tank is only a 33 gal long. So I decided to go with the cichlid stone because they are hollow and basically weightless compared to rocks.

Not sure if you have decided what you want for rocks, but I know some people mix it up so they have a little of both and it cuts down on the weight.

Good luck and you'll have to post pictures of how it's comming!! (I love pictures :D )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i definitely will take pics, do you have any pics of yours?

maybe you can show me,
does anyone know an easier way to look for threads im talking in?

im new around here and dont know my way around things yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nobis911 said:
i definitely will take pics, do you have any pics of yours?

maybe you can show me,
does anyone know an easier way to look for threads im talking in?

im new around here and dont know my way around things yet.
If you click on my avitar (I think it's my avitar) then you can see all my threads, there are tons of pictures of my tank, setting it up tons of discussions (I like talking and taking pictures :D )

To find your own threads it should be on your right hand side at the top, when you first log on it should say show "my threads" or something like that. You can't always see it, but if I hit discussion in the top bar, it comes back and then you can click it.

You can also look at everyones tank by clicking on "your tanks" in the top bar, mine just got added today :dancing:

Good luck and do a lot of looking and reading, go through the library too, tons of good stuff in there and some videos too. :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey thanks man!

you got a nice tank! i love it!
how did you get that 3d background installed lol
looks wonderful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys, so what are some stuff i should purchase to get my cycle going?

tomorow im going to go pick up my sand and some rocks, the filter is ready, and the heater is ready.

do i need to buy ammonia? and if so, what kind of ammonia? can i get it at LFS?
i heard some people saying something about buying it at canadian tire or somewhere

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
There is an article on fishless cycling with ammonia in the Library. I buy mine in the grocery store, plain ammonia, no additives. Review the ingredients.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just searched high and low for this ammonia everyone speaks of, all the ones i found had scents or when given the shake test it would create soap like bubbles.

finally found some small hardware store, that carried it. "Majestic Extra Strength Ammonia" gave it the shake test, and the bubles were big but disappeared almost instantly and didn't hang around the top much, plus the smell is dreadful, burns the nose.

i hope i got the right one.

so this is how im gonna cycle let me know if im on the right track.

1: decorate tank
2: add water
3: dechlorinize Water
4: add ammonia (3-4 PPM)
5: wait an hour, and test ammonia (keep going till i reach 3-4 PPM)
6: add seachem stability
7: wait for cycle to begin

do i have it down right? am i doing stuff to soon? feel free to let me know what needs to be were... other then that, thats all i can think of at the moment. oh yeah and of course have filter running :D lol

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
If you are going to use Stability, follow the directions on the bottle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts