Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

happy to note that I have 2 tanks that can now provide some seeded media for tanks 3 and 4 :dancing: quite a graduation from returning fish to the LFS after a failed cycling last year.
My questions were:
- is a starter bacteria bottle still necessary?
- is there a big dropoff in time to cycle?
- everything except the media (sponge filter) is new. should i start a fishless cycle or do I add a few fish right away?
- any other advice/tipcs/caution is always welcome

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
If you add an established sponge filter, you should have no cycle, no waiting, no bottled bacteria if the bioload of the new tank is proportionally smaller than the bioload in the established tank.

Say the sponge filter was 1/4 of the total filtration in the established tank...in the new tank it will support 1/4 of the bioload that was in the original tank.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I've used seeded media from other tanks, I've added new fish right away. How many fish I've added depend on how much media I've added. I've never had a problem. If you're worried, add a few fish immediately, and add the other fish in two weeks or so.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I am so glad I asked because now I dont have to wait with a smart stocking plan. How long do the seeded media take to establish lets say a new canister/HOB that was new.

·
Registered
185 Posts
rookie-cichlid1978 said:
Thank you! I am so glad I asked because now I dont have to wait with a smart stocking plan. How long do the seeded media take to establish lets say a new canister/HOB that was new.
I don't know. If you mean to fully establish the new filter, I've been told two weeks, and that has worked for me, but I don't know if anyone really knows.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bd79 said:
rookie-cichlid1978 said:
I don't know. If you mean to fully establish the new filter, I've been told two weeks, and that has worked for me, but I don't know if anyone really knows.
Thank you - always find myself making sure :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I feed sparingly the first week. Sometimes I get a bit of cloud in the water day 2 but is gone by day 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts