Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to cichlids, and need some help deciding what species to put in my tank. It is a 30 gallon (for now), but I plan on getting a larger on when the opportunity arises.

As of right now, I have 2 electric yellow, 1 auratus, 1 red zebra, 1 kenyi (blue), 1 acei, 1 demasoni, and one unknown white cichlid. I am aware this is terribly random and probably not a cohesive group, but my girlfriend got them for me and new very little about cichlids.

I really like the electric yellows, so I plan on keeping those, but any of the others can go. I like how demasonis look, but I've head they are too mean (same goes with the auratus). Can anyone help me figure out what to put in my tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
In a 30G I would not add fish. It is possible that the fish you have are juveniles and maybe even all males (or all females) and will do OK for six months or so.

Meanwhile, I would start the process for the bigger tank so that you will have it within the six month timeframe.

For demasoni I would get a 55G rectangle that is 48" x 12" or larger.

Enjoy your fish!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do your yellow labs have dark anal/pectoral fins? IF you have a male (black on fins) and a couple of females (all yellow on pecs and anal fin, usually), they'll live fine in your tank without others.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The Novice said:
Do your yellow labs have dark anal/pectoral fins? IF you have a male (black on fins) and a couple of females (all yellow on pecs and anal fin, usually), they'll live fine in your tank without others.
The Lab fin color advise is incorrect. There is no reliable way of sexing yellow labs based on the look of the fins.

Dominant yellow labs in the tank, be they male or female, tend to show more vibrant black color on the fins, all pure labs will have black on all of their fins that shows up better when when they feel comfortable.

I do agree that you may want to stick with just the labs in the 30in tank, you may get lucky.

A bigger tank would be a good thing if you plan on keeping mbuna long term.

Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts