Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I'll pitch the one species idea to the wife :) hopefully I can convince her. I've always loved species tanks. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Finally, does it matter if some of the species are juveniles and others are adults? Is there a good place to get the Saulosi (Please PM me if vendor names are not allowed)?

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
No sizes and ages do not have to match as long as the juveniles are 1.5" or larger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think I have convinced the better half that we should go with a Saulosi species tank! Any suggestions on where to get 12-15 juvies or 3m-9f adults?

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
Not sure they are available right now, but worth waiting for. Try a wanted ad in the Cichlid-forum classified section.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi all,

An update, the tank is all set up and cycled, I am waiting for 18 Saulosi juvies (coming next week!). They are supposed to be around 1.5-2 inches.

My final goal is to have a 3m 9f breeding group. My question is: is it reasonable to leave all the (subdominant) males in there for a few months or is it best to take them out of the tank as soon as the top 3 or 4 males change?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
I would leave them all until either one causes trouble or you have basically no colored males...which probably means you have too many males for any to color. Figure six months to a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first post! I've been keeping Apisto's and Discus in planted tanks for 15 years, until I moved a year ago and gave away all my tanks. I had never thought about starting a Mbuna tank until last month, when I inherited a Top-Fin 50 gallon long tank with stock LED lighting, tank dimensions are 48.25″ length x 12.75″ wide x 20″ high.
I had some questions about starting the mbuna tank, I have done some research and my "answers" or constraints are in parentheses, any help/suggestions will be very helpful/

1. Equipment: I am planning on going with 2 AC 70's (do not have enough space for a canister filter under the cabinet); For rock-scape, I'm planning on using slate and "fake" Seiryu stones. Are 2 AC 70's are adequate for filtration?

2. Stocking: I am thinking about 1m4f of the following three species: Chindongo Saulosi (difficult to acquire apparently, so any help sourcing these will be much appreciated!), Labidochromis Hongi "Red Top" OR Pseudotropheus Acei Yellow Tail, and Cynotilapia Hara "White Top" OR Pseudotropheus "Orange cap Perspicax" Ndumbi . Any red flags and/or preference suggestions between the options? (I would like some "red" in the tank, but couldn't find a good starter mbuna, I want the tank to be as colorful as possible without a bloodbath :) ).

.I would like to get adults (2.5") instead of juveniles if possible. Do you add all the fish at once or each species at a time. If one species at a time, what is the best order to add them?

Thank you all for your input, I am super excited to get this tank going!
I agree perspicax are too aggressive and acei are too big. Further I would avoid having more than one species with blue bars...hongi and saulosi and hara for example.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I agree perspicax are too aggressive and acei are too big. Further I would avoid having more than one species with blue bars...hongi and saulosi and hara for example.
Thank you for the guidance. I went with 3m 9f saulosi based on the suggestions I got from the forum. I have 18 juveniles currently in the tank (for the past two weeks).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts