Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to keeping Lake Malawi cichlids. I am going to be housing them in a 55g that previous was home to a GT and 2 firemouths. The water where I live is very hard with a high PH, which is what helped to aid my decision. As I was tired of tinkering with the water so much to keep my CA cichlids. I wanted to go all male peacock, maybe a few haps.

Any suggestions as to what size I should purchase them at? And how many? I was thinking starting off with about 8 males around 2.5 inches. Since I am new to this I will be researching for a month or two before I buy the fish. So any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Someone may have experiences that have worked...but a 55g might be a tiny bit small for an all male...I know the idea is overcrowding + no females = no territory.... I used a 5' 100 gallon and it was VERY feisty.... Why not a mbuna setup? you could do 3-4 active breeding groups in a 55g

The rule of thumb i've seen I've tried to follow is

3' tanks = dwarf mbuna or one breeding peacock/hap(small) group or shell dwellers (or not and)
4' tanks = mbuna 3-4 species or 2-3 breeding groups peacock /small haps
5' tanks = 3-4 breeding groups hap/peacock or an all male or 5 species mbuna
6' tanks = frontosa (or 6-7 species mbuna)

Again, some people may have all male 4' that work...but often times the temptation to throw in 'one more fish' once a peace is established can upset a delicate balance...if i did a 4' all male I would get all my fish at once like you say....I might be tempted to go with 10-12, i had the following mbuna in my all male: Ngara white tail, Yellow lab, Hongi red top, demasoni....these males didn't fight with each other and alone are not very aggerssive towards the haps/peacocks...but that was a 5' 100 gallon but you could try them plus

1) A. Baenschi
2) A. Stuartgranti
3) A. Jacobfreibergi
4) O. Lithobates
5) Red Empress(forgot sc. name....something protomelas?)
6) Taiwarn Reef (see number 5)
Here are a few pics of my all male a few years back:

red empress

Jacobfreibergi

Stuartgranti

Ngara white tail

Lithobates

Baenshi

Hongi

Lab

Before someone jumps at me...not all these photos were taken while the fish were in the all male...most were but someone were taken after i took it down and was selling my fish off before moving but the fish pictured were all kept together in a 100 gallon plus a few more I never caught on film....Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
A couple of notes, CA cichlids often live in areas with similar water parameters to Lake Malawi.

That aside, if you are moving onto some peacocks, fair enough.

My recommendations would be to look through the profiles and see which fish you like. Make a list of must haves, and we can build from there. Stick with fish that are around 6" or less full sized. 8" fish are simply too big long-term for a 55 gallon.

Note; The above poster has a misidentified fish. What is listed as a Jacobfriebergi is actually some sort of man made German Red/Ruby Red Peacock, derived from a stuartgranti lineage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was interested in the following, please bear with me as I am learning the species in and out still.

- Aulonocara baenschi
- a few Labidochromis caeruleus
- Aulonocara maylandi
- one or two OB peacocks (I love these)
- Aulonocara kandeensis
- Aulonocara stuartgranti
- Aulonocara Maleri

Any that exceed 7" will be sold to an LFS. I have decided Peacocks over mbuna, because I like the varied color. Although I could consider a mix I suppose.

Fogel, I kept my water a bit softer with a neutral ph for the GT and FMs, as opposed to the water conditions I'm preparing for the peacocks and maybe mbunas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, my tank is indeed a 4ft. And I guess I am also looking for suggestings for mbuna/haps species that are as striking as peacocks with low aggression.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The OB Peacocks are going to be pretty boistrous, as they are a hybrid. If you add in the OB's, the kandeensis and maylandi are unlikely to colour up very much. If you prefer the OB's, then drop these other two.

Which stuartgranti were you thinking of, as there are a number of them?

I wouldn't get a maleri and baenschi in the same tank, too similar.

O. lithobates could work for you, typically only grow to 6". Another fish to consider would be Copadichromis azureus. While they can get big, most often they top out around 5".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have to nix the OB peacocks, I guess it depends on what's in stock when I'm confident enough to place my order. I would prefer the a. baenschi over the a. maleri I think.

If I'm not mistaken size-wise, I should be fine with these species. A. stuartgranti Mdoka was the one that caught my eye. Thanks for the advice! I'll look into the species you suggested, it will help me mix up my stock a bit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well spotted Fogelhund....I have indeed mislabelled that 'German Red' as a Jacob. I should look more closely at my photos before I post. I don't have any photos of my Otter pt. Jacobs as it turns out.

paperfunk, The O. Lithobates is a great all mall Hap to go with Alounas...and mbuna species that should work are Ps. Acei, Electric Yello labs, M. sp. 'Hongi', and even Ps. Demasoni are mellow when not around conspecifics (correct me if I'm wrong and was lucky)...Fogelhund is right the Maleri and Baenschi peacocks won't jive...I'd avoid the OBs if I were you, plenty of wild type varieties to choose from. Mbunas to avoid are Zebras, any Melanochromis species, M. Callainos, most Psuedotrophus species....

·
Registered
87 Posts
The one thing i have learned from my limited experience with peacocks is to add all your fish at the same time if at all possible. Peacocks are rare in my area so i had to add my stock 2-3 fish at a time and it makes for alot of commotion.

Stock List

Sp. German red x2 (that was my first mistake)
A. baenschi x2(second mistake)
A. stuargranti (Ngara)
A. hansbaenschi
A. jacobreibergi (Eureka)
A. maylandi
A. maulana

and 1 C. borleyi (Third mistake but in my defense he was mislabled when i got him)
Try to stay away from getting 2 of the same kind it makes for alot of chasing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm a big fan of the o lithobates, I will definitely be stocking one of those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts