Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I'm new in here and I am really hoping that someone can help me. I have currently a 260 Litre community aquarium. It is all going well. But..... I really want to start keeping cichlids. My fav that I have seen are lake Mawali's. I love the colours!! I understand that I will have to get rid of most of my fish but I have a couple of plecs that I would love to hold on to if I have the chance. Is this possible with Lake Mawali's. My plecs are a fully grown green phantom which I have had for 2 years and a royal plec (only about 4 inches long) which I have had for nearly a year. These are both gorgeous fish and I love them. Is there any reason they can't live with Cichlids? And also, what would I need to chance about my set up to keep Cichlids. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can't see why not with the Plecos, i currently have a bristle nose in mine and he has been totally fine. The only problem is, their growth rate seems to be dramatically slowed living with the Cichlids. As yours sound like they are grown, you should be ok depending on what species you stock the tank with.. I'm running all Lake Malawi Males, Zebras,Mbama,Labs,Peacocks, Haps and have had no issues whatsoever and my pleco is only like 2"

Post more details about your setup, pictures etc.. and i'm sure it will be easier to determine what needs to be changed.. You will most likely need to get rid of all your other fish, besides the plecos.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Some plecos require more acidic water and cannot live with Malawi Cichlids that require water that is high alkaline. Bristle nose are different and are ok for this water but I think the ones you mentioned are not. Also yours are carnivores I believe while most mbuna are herbivores.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
i looked over at my tank one day to see a large chunk of my pleco in one of my peacock's mouths, when I found the pleco, all the underside had bee eaten and ripped out, all that was left was the hard top

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 12" common pleco in my Malawi tank with no issues so far. All the cichlids leave him alone. But on the other hand, I also have a 5" algae eater who loves to eat the slime layer off my Yellow Tail Acei (he's now separated) I've heard plecos are bad for that as well when fish sleep as plecos are more active at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts