Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’ve been doing salt water tanks for awhile and became interested in cichlids not too long ago. I currently have a 75g that’s currently cycling and I’m doing a lot of research on South American cichlids. I originally wanted to get an Oscar pair and realized once full grown a 75 is too small for two, but enough for one. I’m been looking at all sorts of species but I’m still unsure which one I want to pick.

Basically I’m looking for a cichlid that’s not insanely aggressive (I know some are less aggressive then others), one that could possibly get a long with other fish like silver dollars or tetras, one that isn’t shy and runs to the side of the tank when it comes to feeing time like Oscars. I was told that â€Å"Australoheros oblongumâ€Å" were great but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions. Could I raise a pair some of the more common species like Jack Dempsy’s, Firemouth, Green Terrors, etc without one constantly trying to kill the other? If what I’m looking for is near non-existent then I don’t mind having just a pair of cichlids and a bristlenose pleco in the 75g.

Any additional advice, ideas, etc, would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm just trying to find a kind that I can have as a pair that will be enjoyable without any major issues. Having it compatible other fish in there would be nice but it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would say you could easily get away with a pair of Jack Dempseys in a 75 gallon, just provide a lot of shelter. If you introduce them both at a young age they should get along very well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors both a lot. They both grow to be a good size, have great color, and are fun to watch!

Like wlyons9856 said: If you introduce two juveniles of each - they should get a long fine!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's my plan regardless which kind I get, get them when they are just little juveniles and watch them grow. Would they be compatible with other fish in the tank, could I add anything else in the tank besides just a pair of Green Terrors?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a 90 Gallon tank, I have a Jack Dempsey, a Green Terror and a Firemouth, so far there has been no problems. They are about 4 months old, when they grow their agression could as well. Only time will tell. In a 75 I personally would house a single pair and maybe a pleco and some gouramis or tetras and such. I don't think I would introduce another Cichlid, especially if you happen to get a breeding pair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, having different types of Cichlid's would be nice, but I want to do things right and not overstock or have fish getting attacked 24/7, so I don't mind just one pair. It would be nice to get a male/female pair from the LFS, but I'd imagine it's hard to tell when they are so small. If I can house a pair of Green Terrors, with a pleco and some tetras without any problems that would be ideal, that's exactly what I'm trying to pull off.

I was just looking up more info on the Green Terrors. I like how they get large but not past 1 foot. I'm looking for something that gets a decent size but not past the one foot range lol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You should be okay with a pair of GT's, getting a pair is the hard part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will I know early on if they are both males, such as them constantly fighting or something? How can I tell if I have two females, same thing? Also, any other good pairs for my situation besides JD's and GT's?

Btw thanks for your help wlyons9856, I'm feeling a lot better about this already. Don't want to screw this up or run into issues down the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I'm currenrlt running a Marineland C-360 canister rated for a 100 gallon tank on the 75g. Will this be enough filtration for two GT's? I'd imagine so since I'm not over stocking like some African tanks but I want to make sure this is enough. Please don't tell me I need like 4 FX5's lol. I've read some articles that are all about taking filtration to the extreme deep end.

·
Registered
352 Posts
How about a pair of Severums? They are pretty easy going for cichlids and would be fine in with some cories or a BN pleco.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
To mention a completely different direction -- how about rainbow cichlids? They are not aggressive, have lots of personality, will be happy to breed for you, and you can have multiple pairs (maybe even a group) in a 75 gallon. I adore mine . . .

As to your question about filtering -- no, I don't personally think one C-360 is sufficient for a 75 gallon tank. If it were my 75, I'd add a Fluval 405 myself, both for the added filtration but also as a back-up to the C360 (which IME have an issue with leaking).

I'm big on overfiltering and doubling up. I run a 305 and 405 on a 45 gallon tank; and the same combo on my 58. The only tank with one filter (a 305) is my 40 gallon breeder . . .

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you are still considering Firemouths, you might look at some of the other Thorichthys. They are not as common, but some can be found.

I'm a Rainbow fan too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hollyfish2000 said:
To mention a completely different direction -- how about rainbow cichlids? They are not aggressive, have lots of personality, will be happy to breed for you, and you can have multiple pairs (maybe even a group) in a 75 gallon. I adore mine . . .

As to your question about filtering -- no, I don't personally think one C-360 is sufficient for a 75 gallon tank. If it were my 75, I'd add a Fluval 405 myself, both for the added filtration but also as a back-up to the C360 (which IME have an issue with leaking).

I'm big on overfiltering and doubling up. I run a 305 and 405 on a 45 gallon tank; and the same combo on my 58. The only tank with one filter (a 305) is my 40 gallon breeder . . .
Yeah I've been starting to read about a lot of tank owners usually increase the filtration a lot more, sometimes even doubling, etc but from what I've read it's mainly people with overstocked tanks. If I had just two GT's a C-360 still wouldn't be enough? I originally figured by buying a canister rated for 100g for my 75 I was already ahead of the game. Do these companies exaggerate the gallon amount for their filters because if a 100g canister can't handle two fish in a 75g then that's messed up lol.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys. I'm doing research on all of them, finding a lot of good stuff. It will be hard to decide but either way I'm sure I'll be happy with what I pick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 75 as well and run a marineland magnum 350 canister (rated for 100gal) and a marineland emperor 400 power filter (rated for 90 gal). I like like this combo for my tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice, I actually like that idea. Splits it up a bit instead of having two canisters while still getting good filtration. I'll probably end up doing that if it's worked out for others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stopped by the LFs that has the huge selection of cichlids. They have a bunch of tiny electric blue's that look nice, but I'm thinking I should go for something less aggressive. They had a lot of Blue Acara's which I liked. How big do the Blue Acara get? I was told there are not as aggressive as a GT or a JD, but just semi-aggressive. Figured a pair of Blue Acara and a couple of Tetra's and Pleco and I'd be set.

Or if I decide I don't want a pair I'd get a Blue Acara and a Firemouth, or Gold Severum, would this work?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
They exaggerate the flow levels of the filters -- of course!!!

Can you eke by with what you have? Sure . . . But when you have a second canister, then if one starts running slow or even quits altogether, you've got a second, seeded canister in the tank to prevent disaster. You can also open and clean them at different times to eliminate any possibility of a spike, and you've got good, reliable oxygenation. (I'd particularly double up with a Marineland C-series IME.)

Even a much smaller, second filter, a fluval 304, for example, buys you a margin of safety for less than $200 . . .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
IMO I would go with a pair instead of just doing singletons. Breeding and parental care is what makes cichlids fun.

About your filter situation, if you do not care about cosmetics then just buy yourself a HOB filter and call it finished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I've heard on here that jack dempsey's are more skiddish then green terrors. Is it so bad that it takes away from the enjoyment of having them, like everything you walk in the room they hide kind of thing? My LFS has a bunch of little electric blue JD's for a good price and I'm wondering if getting a pair would be a good idea. Could i house them with silver dollars? what other fish would go well with them?

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts