Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my fishless cycle today in my 90 gallon. Have never done a fishless cycle before. Ammonia is at 4ppm. What now? Test ammonia every other day until it goes down? Than what?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is this right... test ammonia every day/every other, once it starts to go down add more to keep it at 4ppm. than test nitrite and ammonia everyday until the nitrite spikes. what should the nitrite "spike" too? and than once the nitrite starts to come down wait until nitrite and ammonia read 0. than add ammonia test next day and if its all gone the cycle is done. correct?

what should i see my nitrites spike to?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yup that is right. Nitrite spike will be different for each person. It depends on how much ammonia you add to the tank. More ammonia means it will get converted into more nitrite. You dont want your nitrite to go above 5 ppm as it can inhibit the growth of the nitrifiying bacteria. When they say "spike" they mean rise above 0. I would say if you can keep it at like around 3 ppm that would be good.

Then once you no longer are showing any ammonia or nitrite, dose your tank with ammonia back up too around 3-4 ppm and test in 24 hours. If cycled it will show 0 on ammonia and nitrate and only show nitrate. Same thing I said the other day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have you seeded your tank with any source?: media, substrate, decor, bacteria aids, anything from an established tank?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a fluval 405 and 305 that have all the same media in them from my 90 before not sure how much bacteria is still alive. and i also have the same live (now dead) rock from before but i rinsed that off but there is no way i could possibly get everything off that

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would dose ammonia every two to three days and only 1-2 ppm. As others have said dosing more heavily will only result in higher nitrites which can slow down your cycle. It's a good idea to do small (20-25%) water changes if your nitrites hit 5 ppm. I have found that once ammonia hits 0, I just need to closely monitor the nitrites (not ammonia) until the end of the cycle. As you probably know, it's not necessary to monitor nitrates till nitrites have hit 0.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I tested my ammonia today that started at 4ppm. My ammonia reAd 0 so I tested my nitrite and it also read 0. I have not seen a nitrite spike but both are reading 0. I dosed the tank with ammoni back to about 3-4ppm. Is this right? I'm confused. I started the cycle Saturday

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Did you 'seed' the filters? Meaning did you add media from an established tank or bacteria from a bottle? If not, double check the nitrite test. If yes, then test for nitrates and post back results.

4ppm is more ammonia than you need, btw. I'd only go to 2ppm.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have both fluvals from my 90 all with bio max and sponges
But I rinsed both of them out under tap water. Maybe there was still sOme bacteria!? I will test nitrates

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
There was probably still some bacteria. If you get a nitrate reading, I'd do one more dose of ammonia and double check the ntirite test to be sure. You could very well be good to go, but best to give it another day to make sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cool! I'll get results up in a few

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so my nitrate is about 10ppm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so last night added ammonia back to around 3-4ppm measure tonight.

Ammonia 1ish
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 10

What now

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If both are 0 tomorrow add more ammoni test next day and if both are 0 in 24hrs the cycle is done?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both were 0. Going to add fish Sunday. How many 3-4 peacocks/Haps can I add to a 90 at once

·
Registered
351 Posts
keep feeding the bacteria ammonia till right before you add the fish or it will starve. also, do a good water change as well cause the trates will be way high :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts