Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some of my fish just floating and kind of shaking their heads. I believe it could be a parasite. Will adding salt to the tank help? If it is bloat, will salt make it worse? They are all still eating. It's just the behavior (kind of listless and kind of shaking their heads) that is bothering me. But only like 2 of my fish are doing it. Should I be worried?

edit: The tank is cycled: ammonia and nitrites 0 nitrates 20

·
Registered
604 Posts
you can try seperating the fish into another tank. salt can relieve them but not help with your situation. if it is bloat go and purchase some Metro +

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi,

floating and head shaking are not symptoms of bloat. Sounds more like a swim bladder problem or something to do with digestion. Do they seem to be almost stuck at the top--like they try to swim down but they float back up or are they hovering in the corner or behind the filter tube?

First do a 30% water change. Then try fasting the entire tank for the next 24 hours. Add Epsom salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons. Dissolve it first and add it gradually over several hours time.

Please post back with additional information and especially if there are any changes after the water change and fasting.

Robin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts