Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really not sure what to title this.

Anyways I scored a REALLY good deal on CL and got a sump system, my only issue is i really do not like the overflow boxs and I was looking at the Duro pipe, and my understanding of how fluid dynamics work(not much) and I dont Think I really needed a overflow box if i just have a peice of PVC going straight down a inch or so below the surface, am i thinking right or no ?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think you're referring to what's called an external durso. They work, but the overflow will help in keeping a consistent water level.

Here's an example of what I did. I didn't bend an elbow down into the tank, just used a strainer, but I've seen it done that way.

Again, an overflow is helpful in keeping the water level set. I really have a combination of things going to accomplish that. The next drain over has an upturned elbow that does some skimming and sets the water level.

If you have the time and patience, it'd be a good exercise to set up something in a garage/basement and play around with it to see what can be done and how it works. I used trial and error to come up with what I set up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I saw your big thread yesterday loved it, I like that idea; issue I have us tank isn't drilled, I am thinking I'll have to draw a picture to describe what I mean

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
issue I have us tank isn't drilled
It is not all that difficult to do assuming the panel isn't tempered...

glass-holes.com has a video tutorial on drilling tanks...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya I was checking that out earlier, other issue i got is tank is currently filled with a good amount of livestock, and Im not moving for another 2-3 months, patience is not my strong suit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just Really trying to avoid drilling for the time being, In the future I am ok with that, but for now I would definitley prefer not to.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Buy or build a overflow box with a Utube... If buying - ebay. Those things are ridiculously overpriced at LFS.

I prefer in-tank overflows but the hang on u-tube variety will work but require fiddling with to keep running optimally (full-flow)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts