Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an acrylic tank that i got for 5 bucks and its in great condition, didn't come with a stand but im sure building one isn't all that difficult.

the tank is 3 feet long and 15 inches wide by 20 inches tall

since the tank is acrylic is there a certain way i have to build the stand or does it have to be flat or what are the guidelines for building a stand for an acrylic tank?

thanks in advance
-jasson

·
Registered
319 Posts
the only difference for an acrylic tank is that foam underlay should go under the tank. This can be any thin styrofoam or similar product.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A glass tank has a plastic rim, so the glass does not sit directly on the wood. Acrylic tanks do not have a rim, so the foam is supposed to take care of any imperfections and reduce stress on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oooooooooooooOOOOOh thanks pistolpete, i had no idea you were even suppose to add something under the substrate in a tank... i feel dumb now....

that helps alot! thanks..
so it doesnt matter if the table top has like little defects?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by " under the substrate". the foam goes between the bottom of the acrylic tank and the stand. And yes, that takes care of minor imperfections in the stand. glass tanks with plastic rims do not need this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was talking about it in a glass tank, makes alot of sense to put something down before you put down your substrate.... yes i get it now...

another question.. how can i get a black background without moving the tank? its already and established tank well a flat black background...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
killakam said:
i was talking about it in a glass tank, makes alot of sense to put something down before you put down your substrate.... yes i get it now...

another question.. how can i get a black background without moving the tank? its already and established tank well a flat black background...
Don't put it in your tank.
For a black background without moving the tank, you can try black construction paper, or tape a black garbage bag to the back.

·
Registered
482 Posts
another idea is to get some thing foam board did it on my 75g and it came out not bad and its easy couple pieces work for mine and it ya make it just right can just stick it between the black pieces of trim if its a glass tank not so sure about acrylic may be able to tap it some how

1 - 9 of 9 Posts