Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the stand I built for my new tank. I was going to make the center part a cabinet and put shelves on the left and right, but I decided not to spend anymore money on it and leave it open.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't say anything was gonna go wrong. I'm gonna use it just as you see it in the pic, I stained it a charcoal color and two coats of polyurathane.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You might want to consider putting (3) sides on the center supports and mebbe shelves to help out with shear force on those legs. There might be stretchers under the base helping to keep the legs from rocking but wood flexes under force and the more times it flexes the more it flexes and if you have say some boisterous friends or pets or mebbe children it ccould age (weaken) before its time.

Not talking about the top leaning but rather the top moving side to side and even to some extent front to back while the base remains stationary.

You show good craftsmanship with your joining and plugs. Are the legs shouldered onto the base?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, legs are shouldered on base, everything glued and screwed, countersunk and plugged. I'm not worried about any movement or rocking the way the legs are attached they're really sandwiched in there. No kids or dogs or anyone here to bump it, but it wouldn't move anyway. I'm pretty sure you could balance a small car on this thing, It's only a 40 gallon tank.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Those are (2) 2"x4"s per leg? I'm no engineer but it seems plenty strong to me for a 450lb 40gallon. Looks good. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
^ For compression forces it is overbuilt for a 40 gallon tank for sure. Lateral forces on the other hand ... if he lived inna seismic area I would consider puting panels on the back and sides for shear force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.