Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a noob here to African Cichlids. Ok so a very reputable and known online African Cichlids dealer told me that there's no need to do a full cycle. He said to just add Stability for 7 days and you can add all the fish in with no problem. He stated that he's put in fish on day 1 after doses of stability and never lost a fish. Now I've been doing a lot of researching about having to have the good bacteria in place before adding in any fish. Can it work that fast? just in 7 days?

TIA

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't add fish until a dose of 2ppm ammonia was fully processed in 24hrs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cycle your tank. I don't care what anyone says, nothing is better than cycling the tank. A properly cycled tank will eliminate so many problems. Don't get in a hurry, you will regret it :)

If your tank can't process ammonia and nitrite without adding chemicals, you are not ready to add fish. The "online guy" is just trying to make a sale. I bet he is willing to sell you the stability also isn't he.

It is a shame when the very people who could have the greatest positive impact on the hobby give the worst advice because they just want to make a sell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I'm doing the full fishless cycle. I just read and watched a ton of videos talking about the importance of doing a proper cycle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
NewkeeperRico said:
Yep I'm doing the full fishless cycle. I just read and watched a ton of videos talking about the importance of doing a proper cycle.
Smart move; I just cycled a 40 gallon breeder. I used mature media out of one of my canisters on my 75 gallon Mbuna tank in a Fuval C4 hob filter thinking that would do the job. Added ammonia to 2ppm thinking it would be 0ppm within 24 hours...wrong...Being a new tank with no bacteria on the substrate, rocks etc the filter could not keep up. I added a full bottle of Stability over 3 days and ammonia started to drop; week 2, I added another bottle of Stability over 2 days and ammonia now would go from 2ppm to 0ppm in 24 hour and nitrite started to climb. After 3 weeks and 2 bottles of Stability ammonia and nitrite process in 24 hours and yesterday I added fish. The only product I have had good luck with was StartSmart complete, but I could not get any in a reasonable time for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I'm kind of in my 3rd week of fishless cycle. The first week I did the stability for a week. The second week I didn't do anything. This past Sunday, I added the ammonia which brought the ammonia in between 2 and 4ppm. Should I wait for the ammonia to drop on it's own or should I put in more stability?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
If you are using Stability, you need to follow directions on the bottle. I don't think it works to mix/match Cichlid-forum fishless cycle instructions with Stability (or any other bottled bacteria product) instructions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NewkeeperRico said:
Hi all, I'm a noob here to African Cichlids. Ok so a very reputable and known online African Cichlids dealer told me that there's no need to do a full cycle. He said to just add Stability for 7 days and you can add all the fish in with no problem. He stated that he's put in fish on day 1 after doses of stability and never lost a fish. Now I've been doing a lot of researching about having to have the good bacteria in place before adding in any fish. Can it work that fast? just in 7 days?

TIA
I used stability for 3-4 days then added 25 small Mbuna to a new 60 gallon set up. Didn't have any issues. Be sure to continue to use it for 7 days even after adding the fish. Also make sure you have enough filtration and media ready to go. That was about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm excited that the 1st stage is complete! The ammonia dropped suddenly to 0. I'll start the 2nd stage tomorrow! Can't wait til this is done, I want some fish in the tank! My daughter's probably been wondering why I've been messing with a big glass square box with water in it, LOL! I can't wait to see her reaction when there's fish in there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I did the 2nd dose of ammonia yesterday and checked it this morning and its at zero! I'll do another dose tomorrow and again 2 days after like the article says.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts