Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days ago I bought several adult Mbunas of beautiful color from a friend of mine that has a business selling Bettas and Cichilds. I bought nine of them to spread the aggression around. One of them is stressing out. The rest are doing very good. I have two other tanks for Tanganyikans. Can I put him in with them to see how he does? Or should I put him in my 10 gallon tank? He is starting to breathe fast. My friend is out of town a few days. I have no idea what the poop looks like..have not seen it and he is not eating. Actually my 75 gallon tank now has Gold Ocellata babies so probably not good to put him in that tank. Should I start medicating?

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
What size tank are the nine new adult Mbunas in?

Do not medicate unless you know what you are medicating for.

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
Well if you can easily remove it from the tank, the 10G should be just fine as long as you have a mature filter on it and/or keep up with water changes so as not to have any ammonia or nitrite and some level of nitrate.

I know you have been down this road before with adding new fish to the tank and having some problems so just take a deep breath.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He just died. I think my friend said he had to change the fish quickly to another tank because they were dying..I saw one die. This one just died. :(.
Also there are no fry and I cannot fathom what happened. I keep close watch of the water. Yes I have a heavy heart and wonder if I am up for all this dying and apparently do not have what it takes to keep them alive though I try hard to do the right things.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

One thing you might try when adding new fish is putting them in a quarantine tank for 3 weeks first. That will allow time for you to see if they have any illnesses before they bring it to the rest of your fish in the main tank.

What is the stock list of the 250G? Species and gender? What are the dimensions?

Any time you have fry in the same tank as adults, the adults can eat them. Once the mother spits any maternal or paternal instinct to protect them stops pretty quickly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Sorry for your loss.

One thing you might try when adding new fish is putting them in a quarantine tank for 3 weeks first. That will allow time for you to see if they have any illnesses before they bring it to the rest of your fish in the main tank.

What is the stock list of the 250G? Species and gender? What are the dimensions?

Any time you have fry in the same tank as adults, the adults can eat them. Once the mother spits any maternal or paternal instinct to protect them stops pretty quickly.
The fish is not yet dead but well on his way. I put him in the 10 gallon tank just now. I propped him up on his side to keep him upright then covered him with dark cover and hoping for a miracle but these type miracles rarely come. My fish list is the same as before. When I can I will hunt it down in here. Only difference is 9-=1=8 new beautiful Mbunas which have no name for now. My friend said they were not showing aggression in the tank he had them in. My tank is 8 foot long 2 feet deep 23 inches wide. 240 gallon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I bought the Gold Occellatus because they are supposed to be good parents and not eat their young but protect them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long can I keep dark covers over the tank and not feed the fish. I am trying to let there be a time out to help settle new fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
That is usually only the first day and night.

If the new fish are well and you add several at once and there are no extraordinary problems with the previous inhabitants they are usually fine and anxious for food by the next day.

You said the previous owner had to move them so they would not die and you saw one die at his end? Maybe they are not well?

For example I received 50 fish yesterday and did not feed and kept the lights off yesterday. This bunch, even yesterday they seemed fine and frantically followed me as I moved by their tanks begging for food. But they will get their first meal today.

You got the fish 3 days ago?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMG_6197.JPG
DJRansome said:
That is usually only the first day and night.

If the new fish are well and you add several at once and there are no extraordinary problems with the previous inhabitants they are usually fine and anxious for food by the next day.

You said the previous owner had to move them so they would not die and you saw one die at his end? Maybe they are not well?

For example I received 50 fish yesterday and did not feed and kept the lights off yesterday. This bunch, even yesterday they seemed fine and frantically followed me as I moved by their tanks begging for food. But they will get their first meal today.

You got the fish 3 days ago?
Yes I did DJ. I will go ahead and take off the cover that I put on last night.....OK they all look good. The pink one with the white fins looked like he was going to go next last night and that is why I covered them. He is eating well today. I feed them green flake. Should I also be giving them the spectrum Cichlid formula? If so what size pellet? I never know quite how much to feed them because they consume so much so fast. It is gone in a matter of a minute..and I think I give them a lot but is it enough? (supposed to feed up to 3 minutes?)
Also my water is good now at a KH of 7,,perfect..thank you for that help.
Here are my fish...the new ones have awesome color!

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
1mm is perfect unless the fish is over 8 inches. That looks like a hybrid peacock? The new ones you added are all the same species? Or all male and none that look anything alike? Sometimes the fish think red and pink and orange look alike.

If he is lurking at the top you either want to remove him or the aggressor.

If you list your species and their genders we can make stocking recommendations.

Sometimes an 8 foot tank allows fish to live together that would not work in a smaller tank, but sometimes you have to rehome fish for a year or two until you get a peaceful mix.

Among the fish that were there before, you have at least one female, is that correct?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJRansome said:
1mm is perfect unless the fish is over 8 inches. That looks like a hybrid peacock? The new ones you added are all the same species? Or all male and none that look anything alike? Sometimes the fish think red and pink and orange look alike.

If he is lurking at the top you either want to remove him or the aggressor.

If you list your species and their genders we can make stocking recommendations.

Sometimes an 8 foot tank allows fish to live together that would not work in a smaller tank, but sometimes you have to rehome fish for a year or two until you get a peaceful mix.

Among the fish that were there before, you have at least one female, is that correct?
Yes some of the females are identifiable now. but none of the new fish can be identified..or at least have not been identified.

After watching them a while..it is very clear to me that my older fish as far as being in the tank..are targeting the new fish one by one..all the older fish are all turned toward their target and keeping the fish from coming further into the tank main areas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I am going to try a trick..has not worked in the past because they look at me like...really? you think we don't know??? lol. I am going to add a twist to the trick. I am going to change the rocks around but I am also going to get the water very very low. That scared the 75 gallon tank when I did that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts