Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I turned on my lights this morning, and look who's out cruising the bottom with a fat belly? My spotted raphael! He's still out now and it's been about 15 minutes since the light was turned on :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came home to find him perched on a piece of driftwood :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice! It sure is a treat when they come out, isn't it? I have a striped Raphael who only comes out at feeding time, does a couple laps hoovering up pellets and then goes back under his driftwood. I bought him when he was about 1.5" and he's now pushing 5". I can't believe how fat their belly gets. How big is your guy?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's around 2", he came out this morning and had a fat belly (i put a catfish disk in the tank last night) and was baffled considering the fish he's in with eat EVERYTHING. How do you feed yours? He seems to not get to the food in time since the danios and silver dollars and oscar suck everything up :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hah! I just looked over at my tank and guess who's out? My Raph cat!

I usually feed around the same time every night. He's in with a Green Texas and some Tiger barbs. The barbs get very hyper at feeding time and I think he's learned that's his cue to come out. He's grown pretty fast. When I bought him in June of this year he was so tiny.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Yeah I'm starting a regular feeding schedule with this tank this week, hopefully he figures it out soon

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I used to have 1 of these and I saw him when I put it in and the next time I saw him was 7 month later when i took him out.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reiner said:
I used to have 1 of these and I saw him when I put it in and the next time I saw him was 7 month later when i took him out.
Yeah I've heard of similar experiences...

I don't remember who it was on this forum, but they had a mbuna tank that they had put a raphael in 7 years ago, and didn't see it again (assumed it had died) and when they were moving 7 years later, it swam out of a log that was in the tank!

Today mine was out in the day again but only for short stints, before returning to his "pad" under the driftwood, I think it has to do with their comfort level in the tank in combination with their personality... Mine perked up the day after I introduced my Giant Danios (which also perked up every other fish in the tank :thumb: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.