Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think i could do one or 2 of these with a butterfly fish in my 55 gallon? Thinking i might drop the water level a bit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That should be fine. Provide lots of plants and cover for them. They like to hide.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought finding one of these was going to be hard, turns out my buddy from the LFS has just closed down his predator tank and his is for sale. I'm picking him up next weekend :D

I'm going to add a medium snakehead to the equation, probably Channa Bleheri. I'd like a larger one, but with the Perch there wont be room.

This tank will be pretty maxed with those 2. I think a Channa might attack a Butterfly Fish mistaking it for a dead fish so if i try that i'll keep a close eye.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had him for about a week and hes just starting to come out a bit. Hes an awesome fish! Hes taking pellets and new era sinking cichlid foods and OFC i have fed him some live.

There is however (as usual with me) a couple of things. A lady bought the nicest and largest raindow shark i've ever seen into my shop and i want him. He'll never survive in the big tank so i was thinking of adding him to the perch tank. Think this is a bad move?

Also since moving the tank around i've disturbed the dormant snails again so i have another outbreak. I think i'll try a single adult yoyo loach. But i'm not 100% sure that the loach wont be a bully for the perch, will he look after himself? I've found predatory fish to sometimes be a bit wet (excuse the pun) when it comes to backing themselves up.

I've decided that this is HIS tank. No other predators :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi mok3t,

Unfortunaly i do not have advice; but, you tank sounds great and I would love to see a picture of the perch.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think I would skip the Yoyo loach as they really should be in groups and are very active ...maybe a bit too active for the perch. Not sure on the rainbow shark.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I kept a younger rainbow shark with my ctenopoma (spotted climbing perch) for about a year or so without any incident in a 55gal. After moving the ctenopoma to a separate tank the rainbow shark got older, larger, and more aggressive. So, I think it all depends on the fish but erring with caution I would advise against it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts