Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a sponge filter until recently. I have a small one in my 20G long and a Fluval c3 on the back. More than it needs I'm sure but they are cheap and I wanted to see how they worked.

I am in the process of acquiring a 125G for Tropheus. The system will have a CPR wet/dry as the main filtration. I am thinking about adding a large sponge filter because I want air bubbles anyway and it would be air driven. The one I plan to order is rated for a 125G tank but just how much filtration do one of these things provide. Could it actually support a 125G for even a short term if it had to?

I also plan to add a Hydor Evo 1400 for circulation. Does that sound about right for a 125G? Never had this large a tank before.

Thanks for any advice or input.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The one I plan to order is rated for a 125G tank but just how much filtration do one of these things provide. Could it actually support a 125G for even a short term in it had to?
Beware manufacturer ratings. I'd never rely on a single sponge filter to handle a 125 with tropheus. You don't need the sponge filter with a wet/dry and the circulation pump, but you probably know that.

Having said that, sponge filtration alone can work if done right. I'd probably go with 3 and count on large water changes to supplement. And I'd also lean toward powering them with power heads, not air.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prov356 said:
The one I plan to order is rated for a 125G tank but just how much filtration do one of these things provide. Could it actually support a 125G for even a short term in it had to?
Beware manufacturer ratings. I'd never rely on a single sponge filter to handle a 125 with tropheus. You don't need the sponge filter with a wet/dry and the circulation pump, but you probably know that.

Having said that, sponge filtration alone can work if done right. I'd probably go with 3 and count on large water changes to supplement. And I'd also lean toward powering them with power heads, not air.
Thanks. Yes, the wet/dry should be plenty but figured since I want bubbles may as well put the bubbles in a sponge filter. I understand what you are saying if I wanted to use sponge as primary filtration it might not be the best choice and would need to be set up differently with better flow and turnover rate. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Hamburg filters work very well even powered by air. They are basically a sponge filter, using reticulated foam. they are as close to maintenance free as you can get. The biggest tank I know of that uses the Hamburg is 350 gallons and it is air powered. The gentleman who owns it is running 34 tanks of various sizes all having the Hamburg mattenfilter, and all powered by a single air pump.They can easily go a year or more between cleanings. The drawback is that they are visible.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have a 75 running on a foam filter alone, but it has a powerhead on it and there are only 35 fry in the tank. I think that if you had a problem with the wet/dry, it could buy you enough time to get it fixed, especially if put a power head on it.

I have another foam filter in my 150 with a bigger powerhead, hidden behind a rock pile. It's there because for 14 bucks I could add another filter. It's not only an extra, it could be easily tossed into anything that holds water to make an instant spare tank.

They do get filthy really fast, but you just give them a squeeze to clean them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts