Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start a new tank, by that i mean split up my current setup.

right now i have an ac30 with a sponge in the bottom and the rest full of ceramic, full full. basically i want the cycle to go as fast as possible, since im almost positive my shellies spawned.

1) would a ac mini be ok in a 20 long with just shellies? right now the ac30 is a little strong for them, doesnt seem unbearable, but still strong.

2) would moving half the sand help with the cycle? or should i save the effort

3) is vasiline safe to use on my pump impeller? my ac impeller makes a bit of noise intermittently. its no the lid, its off. i took it apart and put it back togther about 10 times the other night and this is the only thing i didnt try.

4) with the buffer mix in the library can i just mix up a huge batch of it and store it or should i mix it out every time?

5) i have 2 bn plecos, m and f, i wanna split them up between the tanks, do they leave fry alone?

6) is it ok to have the tank near the floor? the only place i have room is below my current one, it would be 6-8in of the floor.

thats all for now
brian

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
On forums you always get each person's opinion so here's mine:

1. Small tank, small fish ,yes.
2. Might. I would look at trying to move a working filter over or at least part of the media from a working filter as a better option. While the sand will have some, it may not last when turned over and it winds up without O2. The media is designed to harbor bacteria.
3. Not sure. Sorry but I'm also not sure it would help much for long. HOB just tend to be noisy.
4. no experience with buffers
5.No way for fry tanks IME! They do eat fry as they work at night while other fish sleep.
6. No problem as long as the temperature at floor level is okay with the heaters you are using.

Good luck on the new bunch. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have had one BN in each of my Mbuna fry tanks and they havent bothered a single one yet. Although shelly fry is quite a bit smaller than the Mbuna fry so I cant say for sure that they wont eat any.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Quite possible the difference is in the type fish. Mouthbrooder fry are much more ready to face the world when they are spit out. I was dealing with egglayer fry who need protection for several days. When I had catfish of any type in the tank, the fry were gone overnight.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That would make sense. I know Mbuna fry are MUCH bigger and more independant than the egg laying variety so I would go with PfunMo advice. Better to be safe than sorry if you trying to keep them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ge ot the tank today its a 15 gallon it was dirt cheap since it was covered in salt. Took an hour to clean. Painted the back and built the hood. Just need to wire it up now. Went with the AC mini. I also got the sand washednpretty good. Tomorrow I will get the tank placed, sandand water in , and the filter going. I need to swap heaters around so I can bring the temp up to the high 80s for cycling.

I guess I have another question should I setup my little maxijet Ph to agiate the water and keep a go ciood culation or would the mini be fine on its own? I can't imagine that the brevis would li,e alot of current but maybe I can get a gyre near the surface

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Another thought on the difference we have seen with catfish is the way mbuna use rocks. They tuck themselves away in little cracks at night. The substrate spawn fry often just lie down in a wad in the open where a catfish is sure to blunder across them. Malawi is rough territory and you better be ready to run hide!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts