Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently have 2 juvenile Green Terrors with a Jack Dempsey and a Firemouth in a 55 gallon. I will get a larger tank when they start to get bigger. I heard the Green Terror's growth rate is really slow and i was wondering if it was possible to speed up the growth rate at all?
I'm feeding them NLS pellets, flakes, and occasionally brine shrimp. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
larger water changes done more frequently will (almost always) result in a growth explosion.
You can also add more oxygenation to the tank using more filtration or air stones...

·
Registered
373 Posts
If your tank is cycled already, then do larger amounts like 40%, but if not, maybe smaller like 20%?
I am not sure what number 6 had in mind?

I've noticed that getting rid of some decor can make the fish feel like there;s a little more room, and their growth hormone could kick in and work, but I am definitely not an expert, so good luck!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
gatman09 said:
thanks, how big of water changes to you suggest?
that depends on the chemistry of the replacement water... if it matches the tank, then even as high as 100% is fantastic... if it does not match the tank, then frequent smaller changes are best... e.g. 20% daily or whenever possible.

I've had tanks that had the 99% water change routine, and some with only about a 20% water change once per week and the growth in the 99% water change routine was explosive compared to the 20% weekly.

I hope that offers you some guidance... :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scarhbar said:
I've noticed that getting rid of some decor can make the fish feel like there;s a little more room, and their growth hormone could kick in and work, but I am definitely not an expert, so good luck!
this seems pretty logical, and i do have a lot in there at the moment so im going to remove some and do around 30-40% water changes.
thanks a lot for the help guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts