Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a puzzler... Why would a disease wipe out one species in a tank and spare the others?

Here's what I had: 120 gal with 1 Hap Sp. 44, 9 Acei, 9 Estherae, 10 Yellow Labs, 1 OB Peacock and her 5 hybrid offspring, 2 BN plecs, and 1 high fin spotted plec.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, a few of the Acei started looking a little ragged and showed the beginnings of white fuzzy patches. Other fish looked good, but some were darting and flashing. Everything I read pointed to Columnaris, so I treated the whole tank with Maracyn. Over the next several days all of the Acei and the Sp. 44 got weaker and visibly sicker, while the rest seemed to improve. Finally, over a period of 3 or 4 days. The Sp. 44 and every single one of the Acei died. The last one was three days ago, and the remaining fish appear to all be doing well.

The lone Sp. 44 doesn't really surprise me as he was compromised to begin with, fighting a chronic sunken belly that I was never able to cure. The Acei, however, were mature, strong healthy fish. Why would a disease decimate all of the Acei and spare the others? I lost every one of them, without losing a single Estherae, Lab, OB or Plec, so coincidence seems like a long shot. Are some species more vulnerable to disease than others? Or are some less responsive to meds? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'm sorry for your losses- I'm glad the other fish are okay.

Some fish will be more prone to disease or less resilient to medication stress. It's hard to say...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts