Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking of starting up a 75g All-Male Peacock/Hap tank, but I'm having trouble deciding what species, so many to choose from! I'm thinking a dark blue/black backround with some dark rockwork and either brown/tan sandbox sand (I have a source that I've got good stuff from before) or a dark/black sand substrate. Open to suggestions though! And what species mix do you guys think would look best? For lighting I'm thinking something in the upper kelvins, 14-20k, and then actinics/LED moonlighting. What do you guys think? I'm looking for 5-8 fish, all full grown males.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Pick out species that don't look anything like each other to try and avoid any potential conspecific aggression issues. I've got a 72 bowfront all male, 11 adult fish, with no two alike, and working like a charm right now. Other than a minor chase now and then, no major aggression issues. Limit your choices of species to those that stay under 6" as well. Keep a few rocks situated to allow anyone being chased to hide. As far as lighting, substrate, and background, that's a personal preference. I have a black background, black substrate, and a dual T5HO fixture on mine with 10,000k and actinic bulbs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a pic of the tank by chance? Just interested in how that lighting combination works out. I've had a few cichlid tanks in the past so I know about avoiding conspecific issues, I'm just asking for what fish you guys like in particular, since there seem to be about 1,000,000,000 diferent species in the profile section! lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
there is quite a few. obviously go with what you can find locally. as with any case an all male tank will possibly have problems. so during your long stocking period it is suggested that you have a decent sized hospital tank going to house any temporary rejects. never done it myself being that adult males r typically pretty expensive. either way i hope it works out for you. id check out whats available locally before you decide to order online. in any case the site here has some nice places for fish and supplies.

·
Registered
587 Posts
All male hap/peacock, great choice! :D

I currently have a 75 gallon tank of haps/peacocks. It's in working progress. Over the last several weeks I've been adding, removing, or replacing fish. It's like trying to collect the perfect gems except with fish.

Here's what I'm stocking presently:

Nimbochromis Venutus 'giraffe hap' (my 2nd one as the first turned out to be female)
Sciaenochromis Fryeri 'electric blue hap x2 (I will be removing 1)
Aulonocara Baenschi 'sunshine peacock'
Aulonocara Korneliae 'gold and blue'
Aulonocara 'bi-colour 500'
Aulonocara German Red
'strawberry peacock' (my 2nd one as the first one was brutally attacked and did not make it :( )
'firefish peacock'
'dragonblood peacock'
'albino pearl peacock'
Jacobfreibergi 'lemon jake'
Aulonocara 'eureka red' x2 (I will be removing 1)
Aulonocara Stuartgranti 'hongi island'
Copadichromis Borleyi 'red fin' x2 (one is a female and will remove soon)
Sp. 44 haplochromis
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef x2 (waiting for them to show so I can remove 1)
Protomelas Taeniolatus 'red empress' x3 (waiting for them to show so I can remove two)
Lab. Caeruleus x4 (will remove 3)
Plecostromus

Note that many of these fish are still young and are not fully grown. Eventually I would like to have 15 full growns.

I have a 10 gallon h/q tank.
I have a 30 gallon getting ready for a new setup!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.