Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am moving my Oscars into their new tank which leaves my 75 open. I am drawn to the Labeotropheus fuellborni OB. Love that fleshy little mouth.

In searching about them it seems there is a lot of different opinions on this fish and the Marmalade Cat but I would like "new" info and all you can tell me about the L. fuellborni OB. What is the male female ratio? What tank mates would work in a 75?

l also like the looks of the Labiochromis Mabamba. Would this work in the above tank?

Wild caught fish or farm raised, pros and cons please?

Thanks for your help,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
We've been keeping these for several years, I've said it more then once these are without a doubt the best fish we have ever kept. The fuelleborni have been very strong , active fish and breed like rabbits. Feeding has been very easy, their appetite has been second to none!!!!!! Our males come about 75% blue and the other 25% are the ob color. All the females are ob colored. Best I can tell marmalade cat is just another name for the ob color. Our mature males go about 6 3/4" in length while the mature females reach about 5" in length. Tank mates over the years have been:

Manda blue dolphin aka giant demasoni
Williamsi aka blue lips
Red top cobalt
Ob zebra
Zebra chilumba luwino reef
Redtop ndumbi
tropheops red cheek
Yellow labs
Saulosi
Cobalt zebra
Kenyi
Crabo
Demasoni
Blueberry zebra
Various afras
Moorii dolphin
Strigatus
Compressiceps
Redfin borleyi
Exo anagenys
electric blue fryeri
Venustus
Insignis
Livingstoni
Christyi
Lawanda
Bi-color
Baenschi sunshine
Clown loaches
Bristle-nose pleco

Also in a 75 gal. tank we were able to keep a blue male and an ob male together (no females present) with various other mbuna. One of our main breeding groups is in our 6' tank with our large haps. They never seem to cause problems, but at the same time never let other fish bother them.
If you want to keep an awesome mbuna, you owe it to your self to give them a try. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bluesunshine for your very informative answer. So if I want a breeding group of fuelleborni OBs can I have other breeding groups of not similar looking fish? Like the first two you mentioned or just males? Would there be cross breeding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
If you want females with mbuna of this size and keep several types together, I would go to a 6' tank. The manda, williamsi and chilumba all reached about 7 " in length for us.
One 75 gal setup that did work for breeding was fuelleborni, yellow lab and maingano. The latter two were smaller. One male of each and about 5 females for each male.
Another 75 gal tank that worked was fulleborni, mangano and polit ( latter two not mentioned in my original list).

With all this understand no two tanks are ever the same. This is what makes keeping african cichlids so exciting to us. If only you lived closer to us , we would be glad to give you a group of fuelleborni to get you started. Any more questions just let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are so sweet. Thank you again for your help. I wish I lived closer too so that I could come see your tanks and your pretty fuelleborni. Do you have any pics of your tanks anywhere so that I could see them and your fish of course.

From where should I buy my fish on line shop? Are there any good breeders on this forum that mail their fish? Any good aquabid breeders you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked up the mangano and polit and both were described as highly aggressive even for a mbuna but I guess they both are smaller than the fuelleborni and that worked for you. Like you say, each tank is different. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top