Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to rearrange some young malawi colonies soon. When I do, I want to maximise tank usage and output of fry. I plan to do that by mixing species. The other option is to use dividers. So obviously I need to avoid hybridisation and minimise aggression.
Anyway, this is the plan so far, with colony numbers in brackets and tank size at the end. Note all fish are 4-7cm so far. I realise they will grow. Most of the haps mentioned are considerably larger than the mbuna they will live with.

Tropheops 'Chilumba' (10) with Demasoni (26) in 200L
Perlmutt (16) with Placidochromis electra 'Black Face' (9) in 200L
Lab. Mbamba with Otopharynx tetraspilus (7) in 200L
C.pulpican (12) with OB Peacock (8) in 200L

Other colonies are Ps.cyaneus, Red Top Zebra, Dimi. compressiceps, Elongatus Mphanga (only three individuals but large). Any creative mixing strategies for the afore mentioned would be great. I have more 200L tanks to occupy plus two 240L tanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,913 Posts
Except for the tropheops/demasoni combo, it would seem to me that your combo's have a "too aggressive" fish with a "too calm" fish. I'd suspect the calmer fish will at best not spawn and at worst be injured or killed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really think so Ransome?? I have mixed haps with mbuna before and had success. I picked Labidochromis to mix with the haps because they are less aggressive than some. I wouldn't dare try haps with a melanochromis colony or similar.
I like the idea of the demasoni with tropheops because they are so disimilar in shape, size and habits I cannot see them hybridising. Do you think I should try some more mbuna combos instead??
The other option is of course dividers. I know several people who swear by crowding as an effective tool for keeping and breeding. Although we all know crowding does limit aggression to an extent I worry that two species, divided into 100L compartments would fare worse that two species left to mingle in 200L.

·
Super Moderator
40,913 Posts
I don't think the perlmutt and the mbamba have the same temperament as the yellow lab. And the electra and oto are some of the more placid haps. But if you have done it and it works...sounds good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts