Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. First time poster, yet long time reader. I'm looking for help/recommendations on what to add to my 240 I'll be getting. I currently have 6 maingano(2m/4f), 8 chipokae(2m/6f), 4 rock kribs (1m/3f), and a single lone male red jewel. I know I'm a bit short on some females but everyone is getting along well so I'm not too concerned. I will add 4 yellow-tail acei to the 240 and let the acei as well as any other new additions grow out and stake territory before adding the group I have. My issue is that even with adding the acei I will only be at 23 fish, which is not enough. I'm thinking of adding a few OB peacocks but still need help. Recommendations wanted...

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 240G? Chipokae are among the most aggressive mbuna that exist in the hobby. I am surprised the kribs are OK and would not add OB peacocks. I am even more surprised that the tank is peaceful with 2 male chipokae in residence.

With a 72" tank three species of aggressive fish like Chipokae is a good amount of overstocking. Shoot for 25 fish. Add females of existing species to achieve the goal. 1m:7f of each could work, or 1m:8f of each if it works better to manage aggression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So youd recommend just bolstering the existing three by adding females? Skip the Acei?
I was a bit surprised with the Kribs myself but wanted to try it and was ready to remove them if needed. As it turns out there is virtually zero aggression towards them by either the Maingano or Chipokae.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
You have 17 fish and are shooting for 25. I would skip the acei unless you remove a species. If you wanted to remove the chipokae you could do 1m:8f each of the maingano, acei and kribs.

What about aggression between the similar colored maingano and chipokae?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's odd really. I knew I was breaking conventional wisdom with my selections. The Kribs were a gamble, and like you say, the male Chipokae are somewhat similar to the Maingano. I was prepared to intercede if necessary but there is hardly any interspecies aggression. The two male Chipokae do chase a bit but its minimal. The dominant male Chipokae seems content with his primary rock hide and his one larger leafed anubias. I've always considered conventional wisdom to be a guideline for avoiding problems. Breaking that wisdom is fine so long as the keeper has a backup plan.
I appreciate the feed back and now after reading your response I may just pony up and get the 280 instead of 240. I was hesitating because of the cost increase but the added floor space in a 96x24x24 would be huge for mbuna. I think I'd feel more comfortable trying a few yellow-tail then with the idea that i do have a spare tank to house them if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts