Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided today that I was gonna take out all the rocks, clean under them and while I had it clear catch the Demasoni I had holding for 20 days.

So I got everything out, drained 50% of the water, caught the Dem and took her to the table to strip her. Got free swimming fry from her and she was barely over and 1.25 inches!! :dancing: :fish:

As soon I was done, like 3 minutes later I went to return her to the tank, and what do ya know there in the corner was another pair of Dems spawning. Now I have 3 more holding. lol

What is weird tho is last time I was cleaning out the tank, I noticed in the same corner the Dem that I just stripped was spawning while I was still putting my arms in the tank. So is this common that they seem to get in the "mood" more while the water is drained and all the decor is taken out?

Just seems like an awful funny coincidence that both time I witnessed it was when there was 50% of the water out and I had everything taken out. :-?

Either way it is neat to witness it and just wish I didn't have wet hands and had the camera ready to catch it. Funny thing is last night I was kneeling in front of tank for almost an hour with camera in hand cause I thought for sure that they were gonna spawn right then with all the activity going on! Finally my knees were too sore to wait any longer and I gave up! :x

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
509 Posts
They should hang a sock from the door knob or something. Sheesh!

·
Registered
361 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
So is this common that they seem to get in the "mood" more while the water is drained and all the decor is taken out?
Yep, common. During or very soon after a water change seems to trigger something that makes them get their hanky-panky on.

I just did the same thing today. Stripped two C. afra "Nkhata Bay" females (day 18 for them). Got a little more than 20 free-swimming fry between the two of them. Of course, those are my only females, so there was no further spawning activity.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Does that breeder box have slots? Mind that your little (extremely cute, congrats) fishies don't get sucked though and eaten by your bigger ones.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it does have little slots in the sides, but it is a 10g fry tank I setup under my main tank. Only other fish in there are other Dem fry who are only about 3/4 inch and they havent even looked twice at the box yet.

Thanks for you concern though. I did find that out the hard way in my main tank before I had this little one! :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
I put 21 or so lamp. occelatus fry in a breeder box in my 10gal with some demasoni fry. The occie fry were very small. But the dems were pretty small, too. I thought nothing of it. Check back that evening and only 7 occie fry left :?. Never saw it coming. I had to double up on breeder boxes lol. Put a small one in a larger one. All 7 occie fry are still accounted for now. This happened about a week ago.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Guams said:
xxbenjamminxx said:
So is this common that they seem to get in the "mood" more while the water is drained and all the decor is taken out?
Yep, common. During or very soon after a water change seems to trigger something that makes them get their hanky-panky on.

I just did the same thing today. Stripped two C. afra "Nkhata Bay" females (day 18 for them). Got a little more than 20 free-swimming fry between the two of them. Of course, those are my only females, so there was no further spawning activity.
Widely held theory is the new influx of clean water triggers the males to color up, prompting any ready females to, well, you know. I sometimes employ large water changes to induce spawning behavior, it works!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The influx of new water surely does trigger some of it but I also have them spawn before the new water comes in. On several occasions I have torn the tank apart to catch fish for club auctions, did not get time to put it all back together and left the tank partially drained and rock-less for the day only to find holding females when I returned in the evening.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was reading on how low psi systems can affect spawning. N after thinking about it we did have a storm that night. Im sure the water change had something to with it but gonna start watching weather n spawning to see if notice anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts