Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of spawning port cichlids on their second try. The first time around they ate the fry a few days after hatching (is that the correct word?). I'm thinking of separating half after they hatch to help ensure survivability of some of the fry. I'll have to set up a new tank tomorrow. Any suggestions or comments on the size of tank to set-up to start raising the fry? Would a little 2 gal tank be sufficient to start or should I go with a 20 gal?
On a related note, I hope to have a group of port cichlid to raise. What sort of fish would be good colleagues? I'd like to stay with SA fish. These port's seemed relatively peaceful until they started spawning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd go with the 20G tank, the 2G is too small. If your seting the tank up now, put water from your established tank into the new tank, to help with the water quality.
Use a sponge filter as well.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you are prepared to keep the water changed, the 2 gal has advantages. With the fish concentrated, it is easier to feed them properly. This works for a short time until they grow, than they should go to a bigger tank (possibly as soon as one week). I start all my angels in a 2 1/2 gal tank, and there are as many as 400 in a hatch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have my Port/Awani;s with Centrals.. they are very good parents!! Well Mine are,... I collected some fry and put them in a 20 wide with my Lyonsi fry. It seems to be working out very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts