Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a spawn in my severum tank but not a severum. I had 2 lyonsi up till the last week. My female died last week suddenly and I lost the male a few weeks back. I also have a very calm salvani. I looked in the tank earlier this evening and have about 15 fry who are more than a week old judging from there size and are being defended by the Salvani. He really has shown no aggression up to this point. I am wondering if the f/lyonsi and m/salvani spawned and this is the reason she died suddenly. I have had the tank for almost two years but know knothing about egg layers and i thought i had all males in the tank. I know sonmeone can shed some light and wisdom
Thanks Musicman

·
Registered
912 Posts
I suspect that the salvini is a female. Absence of previous aggression is certainly not like a male, and fry guarding is more a female behavior. Also, I have seen female salvini that made a point of chasing off the male during the early stages of egg/fry protection. If the lyonsi was the male, she may have done him for not leaving fast enough.

Just have to watch the fry and see how they develop.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chrome. I kinda suspected that but i .don't know as much about South and Central Americans as I do about Africans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts