Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Sourcing your own rocks

169 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  DJRansome
So I’ve been contemplating and researching adding rocks I’ve found outdoors to my new aquariums rockscape for a while now. Figured I’d run it by you fine people before I drop them in my tank. My story goes I went to a beach and was able to find some rocks that I thought would go swimmingly 😉 in my tank. The tank will be an African cichlid tank so I’m not worried about the rocks raising ph in my tank. My only real concern would be the rocks leaching heavy metals or another substance I wouldn’t want in my tank. As far as prepping the rocks I boiled them for a half hour then let them dry under sunlight. I’m curious what your thoughts are is it risky should I do anything more to further prevent problems in my tank? Below is a sample of the type of rocks I’m looking to add thanks!!
Artifact Sculpture Bedrock Font Art
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Oh yeah.... Those rocks look TIGHT to me!
Those are some good looking rocks you found for furnishing an aquarium with. And, are definitely something interesting looking I would be fishing outta the wire basket/crate thing at the local garden nursery filled with landscape rocks.
I like the way you pre-treated those things, as well. Safe!
Put 'em in. ;)
Reactions: 1
Go for it! I've been keeping African cichlids for many years, and have never used anything other than rocks I've collected out in the 'wild,' and prepped much like you have done.
Reactions: 1
Go for it! I've been keeping African cichlids for many years, and have never used anything other than rocks I've collected out in the 'wild,' and prepped much like you have done.
Awesome!!!! Good to know two of my hobbies can be beneficial to the other. Pretty gratifying finding your own rockscape. I’ve been really enjoying the journey to getting this tank scaped and ready to be a fish world.
All my rock currently in use has been locally sourced. Other than scrubbing the dirt off there really isn’t any other prep work needed.
If you have a species that digs I would recommend placing the rocks in the tank so they rest on the bottom pane and then fill in with substrate.
Just be careful if you are taking them from property you do not own, you get permission.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts