Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my old days - late 80's the tech was a lot different. Can someone point me in the direction of best place to find lessons in terminology, function, and potentially prints labeled with what something is.

The starting point is a small sump on a 75 gal. Hope to have plant growth with non- digging fish(still researching). Looking for best idea of Lights (would like simple computer control) , how a overflow set up functions - Grasp purpose, but the pricing of pre-made is all over the map. The sump build part has been pretty locate-able and understandable - except this overflow box thing? In tank out side tank - breaking the siphon automatically/ looking for lessons. Like reading good book recommendation?.

When using a sump does the only heating source go in the sump or is it necessary to heat in the tank as well?

The sump Pump- everyone says go bigger then the bio load requires. is the new tech a programmable to how much flow is needed/ wanted or is it just something you do trial and error to find balance in the flow. Best beginning pump for beginner that will meet the need.
Does having a single brand of products make it more compatible, or do products work well together? is this a piece by piece question and depending on the brand of products ? Thanks Al

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It can be hard for us middle age/older guys to jump back in these days after being out of it for a while. I was the same way myself some years ago. I was into fish back in the late 70's and 80's when I was a kid then got out of it for many years then jumped back in about 6-7 yrs ago and the new tech was just mind blowing. Honestly the best way to get up to date on all that stuff is just what you're doing here on this site. Just start reading through this and other forum type fish sites and ask anything you don't know. That's pretty much what I did and it brings you up to speed pretty quick on all the new terms and tech. Plus just googling helps a ton as well. When I was researching sumps when I was trying to decide if I wanted one on my 240g tank I spent a couple hours googling how sumps work and you'd be amazed at some of the great sites you can find explaining the in's & outs of sumps by doing that. This is one that I found explained sumps rather well back when I was looking into them and how they worked http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/what-is-a-sump

Since I went the canister filter route rather than sump I can't answer about the pump/flow question you asked but I can about the heater. When you use a sump you put the heater directly in the sump that way you do not need to put one in the tank itself. The heater in the sump heats the water and it flows into the tank and back so no need for a heater in tank then.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm in a similar boat as Steve ... got into it when I was a kid (60's), then out for a while, then back into it as a young adult (80's), then out for another period ... and finally back into it as member of the geriatric set ... :lol:

In addition to melevsreef.com, there are a couple of others worth taking a look at.

This one that covers plumbing generally:

Reef Tank Plumbing Guides - gmacreef

And BeanAnimal's website, which documents his BeanAnimal Failsafe, Silent Overflow (link to project documentation in the lower right corner of the page linked below) :

Home - BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill

There's certainly no shortage of opinions out there on how to do things - often conflicting - the issue is sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

I'm planing on setting up my own 55G sump for a six foot 100G Long display tank, and the above are my two "go to" sources for the info I need in constructing one.

·
Registered
783 Posts
And in terms of those many opinions, one thing I have read is that over-the-top/rim siphons can be problematic (or in some cases, disastrous ...)

I'm sure that there are plenty of people using them successfully, just think long and hard about the worst case scenario ... before you commit to one method (over-the-top) or another (drilling the tank) ... :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts