Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife on a Mother's Day Trek in the boonies where I walk the dog to collect some wild bromeliads, air plants & tree ferns. She does a lot of native plant gardening (people come to see the yard) and we plant these in the hardwood trees on our property. Stuff grows wild here if you know where to locate it. Near creeks and rivers that are shaded. People go to plant stores here and pay $20 + for bromeliads & other plants. There has been a nice piece of driftwood there that I have been eye-balling for quite a while now. Piece is hard as a rock and weighs @ 30 pounds. Carried it out 3 miles. Gonna power wash and use in one of the tanks.
Wood Automotive tire Fish Gas Trunk

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Oh man.... that's nice. :cool:
I can already visualize that piece with moss and some Anubias planted out on it! Looks like its well over 4 foot long? And being driftwood, it's already plenty smooth & sanded down a bit. That's a great find! Its going in the new, 125 gallon tank right?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Along one stretch of coast here there are casuarina trees' stumps and roots which were hardened after years of salt water exposure. I took a sawsall and cut out a couple of nice sections of roots to use in my tanks. After some time in my tanks they began to deteriorate so I coated them with Pond Armor to preserve them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man.... that's nice. :cool:
I can already visualize that piece with moss and some Anubias planted out on it! Looks like its well over 4 foot long? And being driftwood, it's already plenty smooth & sanded down a bit. That's a great find! Its going in the new, 125 gallon tank right?
Yeah over 4 ft. Not sure where I'm going to put it yet. Have some other really nice big pieces that I found already soaking in that 55 gallon drum. This one however would sink immediately as it is rock hard and really heavy. Has a little bird **** on it that I have to wash off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a nice river bordering our land, I can’t go for a walk there without looking for driftwood, even though I already have more than I need. It’s fun though! My son recently carried a huge piece all the way home for my biggest tank, it must have weighed well over 20kg, we found it quite far up the river and there is a very steep climb back up to the house. I am eternally grateful, I couldn’t even pick it up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice driftwood! We have regs here prohibiting wild collection so we can look but not touch. :(
We sourced some river rocks at Pisgah National park not thinking we were doing anything wrong. Found out later. The fine was way more than it would have cost to buy them. We were very lucky we were not caught. There is even jail time attached to the fine.
But they are right and we were wrong. Its a park and should be treated as such.

Thanks. Here in SW FL they leave us be.
Well its Flori-duh after all. My home state that I now had have disowned.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well its Flori-duh after all. My home state that I now had have disowned.
No it's Florida. But thank you very little for the insult.
The best part of this is you illegally took (rock) out of a state park, where they have signs clearly stating you cannot remove anything from the parks, could have been fined & jailed, but you insinuate that Floridians are dumb. Priceless.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No it's Florida. But thank you very little for the insult.
The best part of this is you illegally took (rock) out of a state park, where they have signs clearly stating you cannot remove anything from the parks, could have been fined & jailed, but you insinuate that Floridians are dumb. Priceless.
I know what it is because I was born and raised in Flori-DUH. Miami and surrounding areas including Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale. I meant no disrespect Aussieman.
My apologies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts