Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank floor is 4'x1'x1'. How do I know how much sand to buy to get a 2" bed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Im not sure if you are looking for a weight of sand or anything and I am not sure what size bags you may be getting buuuut, I have the same size tank and I used about 2 bags of moon sand I bought at my LFS that were 20 lbs each.

So my guess would be about 40 lbs of sand. I originally bought 3 bags and still have another i havent not used yet. I just use that bag to replace sand when I need too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bstatham said:
Im not sure if you are looking for a weight of sand or anything and I am not sure what size bags you may be getting buuuut, I have the same size tank and I used about 2 bags of moon sand I bought at my LFS that were 20 lbs each.

So my guess would be about 40 lbs of sand. I originally bought 3 bags and still have another i havent not used yet. I just use that bag to replace sand when I need too.
I was going to order 2 bags of the ecco complete (mix of balck & white), but I wanted it a tad darker so I was going to add another bag of moon sand for 3 bags.

So it sounds like I will get one of each. I read somewhere it was 1lb to 1 gal so I was going to order 40lbs anyway, but just wanted to make sure. :wink:

thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTZ said:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/calculator.php
Bottom of the page.
:lol: I don't thinks that works. First it was my stupid mistake, once it asked my length and depth, I assumed the bottom was height, so I added 12" and it told me I needed like 355 lbs of sand. Then I realized the bottom # was how deep you wanted your sand bed :lol:

But, when I did the correct #s it still told me I needed 66lbs of sand. :eek:

Thanks though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bstatham said:
Im not sure if you are looking for a weight of sand or anything and I am not sure what size bags you may be getting buuuut, I have the same size tank and I used about 2 bags of moon sand I bought at my LFS that were 20 lbs each.

So my guess would be about 40 lbs of sand. I originally bought 3 bags and still have another i havent not used yet. I just use that bag to replace sand when I need too.
You went with all black, do you have a picture? I was thinking of doing all black, but kinda liked the mix too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
yea, let me see if i can put one up here for you.

I actually did a bad of a salt and pepper type sand and then mixed it with a black moon sand. *** slowly added more moon sand though so it was slowly gotten darker and darker haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
If these photos work, this was my original set up. the rock formations and all have since changed. I do really like the black sand and black background. I think it looks good with the texas holey rock and the lava rock as well as brings out the color of my fish.

You cant ever go wrong with black!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bstatham said:
If these photos work, this was my original set up. the rock formations and all have since changed. I do really like the black sand and black background. I think it looks good with the texas holey rock and the lava rock as well as brings out the color of my fish.

You cant ever go wrong with black!



That looks really nice! That is the color I want my sand. Not totally black, but mostly. :thumb: I like the rocks too. Very nice :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Thanks! :)

If you cant find a kind of salt and pepper looking sand to mix in there, you could maybe try using one bag of white or gray sand and mixing it with 2 bags of black or so. Just however you want to do it. Im sure it will turn out great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bstatham said:
Thanks! :)

If you cant find a kind of salt and pepper looking sand to mix in there, you could maybe try using one bag of white or gray sand and mixing it with 2 bags of black or so. Just however you want to do it. Im sure it will turn out great!
Thanks :thumb:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top