Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up my 90 gallon Mbuna Tank and I want to see what you folks think.
Size - 90 gallons
Filters - (2) AC 110's
Filter Media- (1) Stock (Sponge, Carbon, Ceramic Discs)
- (1) Custom (Sponge, Filter Floss, Ceramic Discs)
Air Pump - Wisper 40 with 2 air stones
Heater - (1) 250W Stealth Heater
Substrate - Small gravel, natural color
Lighting - Dual 48 inch strip light
Fish Stock - 4 - Small 1-1.5 inch Yellow Labs
1 - Small 1.1.5 inch Metriaclima estherae
2 - Med. 3-4 inch Metriaclima estherae
3 - Small 2-3 inch Bumble Bee's
1 - Med 3 inch Synodontis multipunctatus - Catfish
Rock/Caves- Stacked flagstone/ slate
Plants - Plastic, until I have the tank established when I'll use Java Fern and water
onions.
I also have 2 med (2 inch) Altolamprologus calvus - I know they're not from the same lake... but so far i haven't had any issues.
Any advice, additional stocking tips?
I want to get another 2 or 3 Bumble Bee's and try to find one male and keep the females, trading away the extra males to the LFS.
I also think I'll try to find/ order online another 2 female Metriaclima estherae. Right now the male and female are a breeding pair.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and thanks everyone! I've been asking a lot of questions and I can't wait to get the tank set up!! First week of June!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The problem is not that the Calvus are from a different lake. The problem is that their diet is carnivorous, and the mbuna are not! So, one fish or the other can eventually have probems. If you feed too much protein, the mbuna have bloat. Not enough, and the Calvus die. If you wnant to try it, you could feed New Life Spectrum. That seems to work for many who try to combine fish with different diets. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts