Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picture was taken 3 years ago. The arrangement happened under complete mistake.

This could be the king of wacko setups :lol: Maybe also the queen of "Do not do this at home" stuff too :D

Comments welcome :D By the way, the housing arrangements are no longer like this...... :)

Happy Tang Keeping!!

·
2,088 Posts
Excuse my ignorance: what are we looking at, and why is it weird?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
triscuit said:
I think we're looking at a very young Boulengerochromis microlepis housed with a tropheus?
That was my guess. Boulengerochromis, if kept at all since they reach 3' in length, wouldn't typically be kept with anything else.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, thanks for all the replies!! :D

Shon982, thanks of the compliment :thumb: You're talking about the above fish I hope?? :p

And yup, Triscuit is correct: the above yellow fella is indeed a very young Boulengerochromis microlepis!!

And yes Tim, since they grow to a huge size, they aren't typically kept with other fish, especially not fellow lake-dwelling cousins, or rather subjects? Boulengerochromis is called the Emperor Cichlid :wink:

I really liked that fish(Actually Boulengerochromis are my third favorite fish :) ).....I hope there's someone on this site who agrees with me!! :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lol yeah I completely blanked out when I tried to remember its name haha
Shame that we're not allowed them in Australia :(

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Going to need a big un. :wink:
This may be of interest.
www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6007
Quite commonly available here in the UK glad most folk are sensible enough not to buy em without the tank needed. They often stay in the shops unsold for years.

All the best James

·
Registered
65 Posts
A local shop had a few of them at about a foot long or so. You look at them and the first reaction is "they're huge". The second reaction, once you realize what they are is "they're still just babies" :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I know how big they're going to be :) Up to three feet long!! But....

Unfortunately, the fishy himself is no longer in our world....be was bitten to death by a slightly larger Asian arowana...why the guy I sold him to put the two together, I learned too late :( He said he keeps a wide variety of large fish, and has kept Boulengerochromis several times in the past too.

On a side note, the Tropheus I sold also, and the guy says they're breeding like crazy :p

And boulengerochromis grow like crazy!! Mine grew exactly 1.2cm a week! He used to be the smallest fish in my Tropheus tank! But after 6 weeks, he was by far the largest!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
shon982, these guys are available in aus, but at the size of around 1.5-2 inches are fetching prices upward of $500 aus. i know of a guy at a pet shop in tasmania called New Town Aquarium who has i think 4-5 of them in a ten foot tank. they are growing rapidly and he hopes to eventaully breed them. they are magnificent looking fish in person and im hoping to get a couple breeding in the future, that is once i get my 12x4x3 eventually :S, i need big money's though!!!. amazing looking fish the_evil_dickfeldi! sorry to hear about the nasty aro though bud :(

Ben

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention!! :eek: Thanks James for the cool link!! I see someone else has done the "don't do" stuff too :D

And Ben, good luck on your project!! And yeah, Asian arowanas aren't very peaseful I think :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts