Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** had an african/american cichlid tank for around a year erything was fine until i added a clown loach and frontosa into the tank today everything was the same as it always is in my tank fish are always breeding super happy and healthy and after i added those 2 fish into my tank an electric blue mbuna died tropheus duboisi turning white and 90% of my fish are sitting at the bottom of the tank what could have caused this all my fish hve only came from 1 store and he breeds them here and i have the same parameters as the store

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Couple things come to mind for problems after adding fish:

1: some kind of illness/disease introduced by the new fish
2: aggression/upsetting the established hierarchy

For 1, usually the recommendation is to quarantine new fish to avoid introducing something, even fish coming from the same source. But you're past that point and into the identify and treat stage and I'm really no help there.

For 2, well one thing is that it sounds like you're attempting to mix different kinds of cichlids from different locations. Compatibility can be... unpredictable to put it gently. I'm familiar with africans and the recommendation when adding new fish (ie. if it's a mbuna tank and you're adding more mbuna) is to rearrange the decor in the tank so instead of the new fish needing to find a way to compete for already claimed territories, you end up resetting all the territories for all the fish so they all have a fair shot (that resetting is no guarantee that all the fish end up happy in the end, however). But for other types of cichlids the recommendations are different and when you mix them all together it's totally unpredictable outcomes (or unfortunately the most predictable outcome is the mixes often don't work).

Some others around here can probably help with specifics more than I can and likely have a lot of questions for you such as tank size, filtration, species, number of fish, water parameters, recent ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests, etc. It could be something else unrelated and that it happened after adding fish was just a coincidence. That's where the more information will be important.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Hmmmmmm......

davidbunchanumbers said:
"I've had an african/american cichlid tank for around a year...."
And yes, as Master 'Rhinox' has informed already - there's a lot to unpack in your post. Some/much of which may prove irrelevant... or, may be the key to possibly solving the cause of all this death & destruction.
So for starters, what kind of "american cichlids" do you have in this tank? I mean there are orders of magnitude in differences between say, a Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus and an Umbee Cichlid, Kronoheros umberifus! :eek:
Yep.
-
To help you with this, we're gonna need a LOT more information.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
It would also help to know tank size and dimensions in Length x Width x Height and the number and sizes of the fish including which species you are keeping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot *** had over 15 years of keeping fish and *** kept a mixed tank alot in the past without any troubles i have lyretails tropheus bristlenose haps/peacocks red jewel cichlids electric yellow mbuna convicts clown loach and frontosa could the ammonia have spiked when i accidentally dropped the water in the back my frontosa came in into the aquarium?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The people that breed fish here have always bred their fish in the same parameters so you dont have to screw around with the water and possibly kill all your fish well thats how the owner of the shop i get mine from does it anyway

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
davidbunchanumbers said:
And yes i dixd clean the tank after i accidentally dropped the bag of that water in it just to be safe
It's not recommended to dump bag water into the tank but I think that's more a disease prevention thing than anything else. It's a small volume of water going into a large volume, the effect on parameters should be minimal.

How thoroughly did you clean? Any different than you'd normally clean? I'd more suspect a thorough cleaning disrupting the beneficial bacteria causing an ammonia or nitrite spike more than the bag water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rhinox said:
davidbunchanumbers said:
And yes i dixd clean the tank after i accidentally dropped the bag of that water in it just to be safe
It's not recommended to dump bag water into the tank but I think that's more a disease prevention thing than anything else. It's a small volume of water going into a large volume, the effect on parameters should be minimal.

How thoroughly did you clean? Any different than you'd normally clean? I'd more suspect a thorough cleaning disrupting the beneficial bacteria causing an ammonia or nitrite spike more than the bag water.
The tank i keep pretty much hospital clean but the fish look alot better swimming around only havd 4 fatalities an electric blue mbunu 2 5cm electric yellow cichlids and a juvenile tropheus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhinox said:
davidbunchanumbers said:

4 fatalities are better then every single fish dying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 3rd electric yellow cichlid is dead but the rest seem to be recovering silver dollars, convict cichlids, bn and most of my femal haps//peacocks seem to be unaffected by whatever it was frontosa was pale and looked like it was near death yesterday but looks much better today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts